Thread: Picture of Klingenthal marking Napoleon's 100 Days?

Picture of Klingenthal marking Napoleon's 100 Days?

Were Klingenthal markings during the Hundred Days reverted to the Impériale marking instead of Royale?

e.g. Manf re Rle du Klingenthal Janvier 1815 reverting to Manf re Imple du Klingenthal Mai 1815

Does anyone have a picture of such a marking on the spine of a blade?

Hi Dirk,

As I understand it, Napoleon was crowned Emperor in 1804 and after that the swords had the Imperiale marking which temporarily swithched to Royale during the first exile. The link to Richard Dellar's article may be of interest:

http://www.smallwebs.com/Swords/French%20cuirassier.PDF

Apologies.Double posting.
    Last edited by Magnus K; 09-06-2017 at 05:28 AM.

Yes, during Napoleons first exile to Elba the marking was switched from Imperiale to Royale. But then he came back for the Waterloo - 100 Days campaign whereafter he was exiled to St-Helena.

The question is if during this 100 Days period March-June 1815 there was a switching back from Royale to Imperiale again and if someone has a picture of such a marking: Manufacture Impériale du Klingenthal Mars/Avril/Mai/Juin 1815?

Many thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Schoorens View Post
    Yes, during Napoleons first exile to Elba the marking was switched from Imperiale to Royale. But then he came back for the Waterloo - 100 Days campaign whereafter he was exiled to St-Helena.

The question is if during this 100 Days period March-June 1815 there was a switching back from Royale to Imperiale again and if someone has a picture of such a marking: Manufacture Impériale du Klingenthal Mars/Avril/Mai/Juin 1815?

Many thanks for your reply.
    OK now I get you. Richard Dellar published another article entitled "French Light Cavalry Sabres Model AN IX & AN XI" in which he suggests that the marking did indeed change back to Imperiale for three months during 1815 but does not provide photos to prove this.

Good morning,
    Klingenthal, when catering for the government, had Artillery Corps officers there to survey the production.
    The spine engraving followed immediately the political situation, be it Imperial or Royale.

Useful history of Klingenthal manufacturing suggests that yes, for a short period they did revert to Manufacture Imperial de Klingenthal under the 100 days.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollector/kling.html

Great, any such swords in your collections?

A number of Klingenthal made swords yes, but none from the 100 days sadly. I dont recall having seen one, I would think production during this limited period was quite small, and I guess they must be quite rare.

Dellar's article has some French military armoury sources which suggest that production of sabre modele AN XI fell from 21,000 in 1814 to just over 5,000 for the whole year in 1815. So there were probably not that many sabres manufactured in the three months to June alone with the Imperiale inscription. What then happened to those swords is anyone's guess and possibly there was not even time to issue them to the troops.

And quite likely any remaining in official stores would have had the inscription effaced after the 2nd restoration. You see quite a few sabres with either the whole inscription gone or just the word 'Imperiale'.

If found one of these swords at auction now, has the flat blade spine and early hilt. However the date is 1826 and they had changed the blade to a rounded spine and the bars attached to the guard slightly different. I would think the 1826 date could originally have been 1811?. Easily found on the-saleroom.com The Imperial may have been altered too?

I have a modele AN XI dated april 1815 with the Manufacture Imperial de Klingenthal marking.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Michael.H; 09-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Great, thanks!
    Last edited by DirkS; 09-07-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Nice - that's a rarity

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.H View Post
    I have a modele AN XI dated april 1815 with the Manufacture Imperial de Klingenthal marking.
    Wow! There's the historic proof... Incredible.

Must admit did not realize it was so scarce will see if I can find another.
    Last edited by Michael.H; 09-10-2017 at 11:14 PM.

French swords in this date range appear scarce but we must also realize the desirability of these swords, many stay in collections and later sold/traded between collectors never to see the light of day.

Well done. So you managed to find two for sale in the past eight years? The last one is a briquet unless I'm very much mistaken. They must be fairly rare, which is not necessarily the same as desirable. But thanks to your photo at least we have evidence that they exist.

I have an AN XIII sabre in my collection made in May 1815. It's marked 'Imple'.

Here's another An XIII cuirassier sabre from March 1815

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  95.9 KB