Thread: Please help identify a sword.

Please help identify a sword.

Hi,

I am new to this site and don't really know anthying about antique swords.

I was wondering if someone could help me identify a sword that I own and maybe tell me something about it. Please let me know if you need anything else.

I look forward to reading your comments.

Regards

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images        

You have a British P1897 army sword. It has the George V cypher so was made from 1910 onwards.
    The blade looks thin and the guard looks to be 3/4 (or it could be the pics) so it may be a levee sword - basically made for dress as opposed to service use. If the width of the blade at the ricasso is less than 20mm that'll confirm it as a levee sword.
    If there is a regimental badge/motto on the blade that will tell you which branch of the army it came from. The cutler's name is on the ricasso. The photo of the proof slug is too unclear for me to make out the maker.
    You'll find plenty of info on the P1897 if you Google it

You have a British P1897 army sword. It has the George V cypher so was made from 1910 onwards.
    The blade looks thin and the guard looks to be 3/4 (or it could be the pics) so it may be a levee sword - basically made for dress as opposed to service use. If the width of the blade at the ricasso is less than 20mm that'll confirm it as a levee sword.
    If there is a regimental badge/motto on the blade that will tell you which branch of the army it came from. The cutler's name is on the ricasso. The photo of the proof slug is too unclear for me to make out the maker.
    You'll find plenty of info on the P1897 if you Google it

Sorry, but it's actually a George VI, 1936-52.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 09-08-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Thank you Richard I have google the P1897 and it doesn't seem to be the same. I have added below what will hopefully be a better picture of the proof slug.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Paul, Richard is spot on, this is an 1897 pattern British Infantry Officers sword, beware of google, it throws up all sorts! Suggest you look at the many threads on the forum, especially the article written by Matt Easton. Ben

Yes Ben you are totally right. It is clearly George VI. I'm afraid I merely glanced at the cypher before writing my comments. My bad.
    Paul, try a Google image search but as Ben warned, don't believe everything you see. I agree that Matt Easton's article will tell you all you n we to know and Google images will show you some nice photos