Thread: Please identified sword

Please identified sword

Hi
    Please help identified this sword, british cavalry? And what is the pictures on it?
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It's not an official British government pattern sword, and there's no specifically British motif in the engraving. It's a sufficiently generic sword that it might have been carried by a cavalry officer in any European country in the 1790-1820 period. I believe it is probably of central European manufacture, but there was a world wide sword trade.
    hc3

Quote Originally Posted by hc bright View Post
    It's not an official British government pattern sword, and there's no specifically British motif in the engraving. It's a sufficiently generic sword that it might have been carried by a cavalry officer in any European country in the 1790-1820 period. I believe it is probably of central European manufacture, but there was a world wide sword trade.
    Thank you!

Here's a similar item from my collection, the biggest difference between it and yours being the hilt furniture, specifically the rounded pommel and the Prince of Wales motif and "Ich Dien" motto between the branches. The consensus is British infantry between 1796-1803, which is supported by the traces of remaining blade etchings. Also, yours looks like it may be cavalry length.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wonderful curvature of hilt and blade. The horn grip is typical of French officers sword but as previously mentioned could be used by several European countries.
    If the blade is 32 inches or more it may well be a cavalry officers sword.

Thanks Mark for your example, looks very similar. My blade is 24,4 inch

Must be infantry officers sword with blade of that length.
    Last edited by Michael.H; 09-13-2017 at 04:22 AM.

Very nice. Enjoy!
    Tom Donoho