Thread: ASMIC Convention Militaria Show Sword Display

ASMIC Convention Militaria Show Sword Display

Gents,

I attended the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC) show in Kansas City this weekend and had a great time. I put up a display of US Model 1902 Army Officer Sabers at the show and I managed to win the First Place prize from the roughly thirty display only tables among the regular for sale tables. I thought I would post some photos of the display for the Forum to look at and enjoy.

I encourage anyone who puts up a similar sword display to post photos of your display so the rest of us can see it. I think these displays will give us all some good ideas on how to best display our collections. It also gives us all a chance to show off some aspects of our collections that we might want to share with others.

George
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Super nice George I am trying to add an m1902 Springfield and m1872 to my US sword display. So many things to consider price? Condition? Service? Following yours and Richards post has been most helpful, although now I have to worry about m1880. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Wonderful display George. Congratulations on the win and also the desire to educate other collectors!

Greg

That is one impressive specialized collection. Is there any M1902 you don't have?

Have you ever encountered a M1902 with a coin-silver hilt and scabbard? I've seen them listed in some old sales catalogs, and have often wondered if anyone actually bought such a premium grade.

Congratulations on the award for a great looking and well thought out table!

Cheers

Gc

Thank you for the kudos on the display gentlemen. This is actually the first time a display with primarily edged weapons has won an award. Since ASMIC is basically an insignia and uniform collectors organization I was told that there was some club debate as to whether or not to even judge such a display. Since my display did contain three identified uniforms (Mexican Punitive Expedition, President Harry Truman's Lawyer WWI & WWII Veteran, & WWI Mass Supreme Court Justice) they did judge it and I was able to garner First Place. While the uniforms were there in a supporting role to show the belts and slings and how the swords were worn it seems my display was judged to have met the criteria of the display rules. It comes down to how you design the display and fill out the paperwork.

Richard, I do not have every variation of the M1902 Army Officer Saber but I have a lot of them it seems. For instance, I have one of the first Springfield Arsenal German silver (aka nickel-silver) swords but I only have two of the five variations of that run of swords. I have mostly named presentation swords and swords with unit specific etched blades. One presentation grade sword was presented to the swordmaker Frank Harding of Harding Uniform and Regalia and another was a Mexican Expedition presentation from the Governor of RI.

George
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson