Thread: Help with translation

Help with translation

Hi

I am trying to find a translation for the following inscription on a yatagan. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  86.3 KB

Thanks

All that I can make out is the name 'Inan in the loop or rein. (The word 'inan means "rein".) Blade maker or what? More help is needed!
    Last edited by L. Braden; 09-12-2017 at 02:06 PM.

I have had suggestions that it could translate as عنان - clouds, or عثمان - ottoman. What I am hoping is that someone can tell me how they would relate to the sword/ meaning in context.

Thanks

The "clouds" ('anan) meaning occurred to me this morning, but I don't see the thm/sm in 'Uthman/'Othman/'Usman/'Osman in the script. As for the significance of "rein" or "clouds", who knows?
    Last edited by L. Braden; 09-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Some dots are missing. But I would say it reads "Sahib Uthman/Usman" (The owner Uthman). I have seen this on a number of yataghans,

I agree. I now see the "sad-alif-ha-ba" (i.e., "sahib/saheb") to the right of the name.

P.S. Unless we're misreading it, that inscription is really faulty! Not only is the "ba" missing in "sahib", but the "ha" looks like a "jim", and I still fail to see the "tha" and "mim" in the presumed "Uthman/Usman". And that swirl or whatever looks to me like a "rein" ('inan) or a "cloud" ('anan). But who knows?!

It is stylized writing Sahib is clearly there. be is Extended and alef and sat interact with each other. Two dots for Saat are missing. Not unusual. I have seen the same inscription on many yataghans with all dots present.

Thanks indeed for the clarifications!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lambert View Post
    Hi

I am trying to find a translation for the following inscription on a yatagan. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  86.3 KB

Thanks
    How about a picture of the entire blade?