Thread: Non-Buyers Remorse

Non-Buyers Remorse

I think I just passed up a real bargain at a live auction. It was a M1860 cavalry saber with the initials "JBA" stamped on the ricasso.

Name:  M1860 JBA 1.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  35.2 KBName:  M1860 JBA 3.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  68.3 KB

Thillmann tells us these are quite rare; he was able to examine only two during his preparation of his book. He did not know who "JBA" might have been, but he was confident the sword was of US manufacture, and speculated, based on style, that the swords were made Ames or Emerson and Silver. The interesting thing about the sword I didn't buy is that in addition to "JBA" it is marked with a "T".

Name:  M1860 JBA 2.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  23.1 KB

This "T" appears to be the same "T" as appears on the swords Thillmann attributes to Tomes & Son:

Name:  M1860 JBA Tomes.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  28.4 KB

If so, it would appear the JBA-marked swords were either made by Tomes, or at least by the same maker who supplied his sabers.

I dropped out at the $500 mark. These M1860s are not a type I have followed closely. I remembered the "JBA" was a rare variety, but I didn't remember just how rare. If I had, I would have hung in there and, depending how knowledgable the winning bidder was, may have picked this one up for under $600. Oh well, you can't win them all.
    Last edited by Richard Schenk; 09-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Trust that had you continued to bid the other bidder would have done the same.
    R.W.L. once told me "like trains, another will come along"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schenk View Post
    This "T" appears to be the same "T" as appears on the swords Thillmann attributes to Tomes & Son:

Name:  M1860 JBA Tomes.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  28.4 KB

If so, it would appear the JBA-marked swords were either made by Tomes, or at least by the same maker who supplied his sabers.
    It also occurs to me that "JBA" may have been a retailer mark, and that whoever RBK might have been sold Tomes' swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    You're right of course, but now I'll never know. He might have dropped out at $525, or he might have held on to $1500. I wish I would have stayed in a bit longer, but I didn't, thus non-buyer's regret!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    True enough.

We always miss the ones that got away.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Most of these JBA and Tomes sabers are in relic condition. Yours is a beaut. Thanks for the look see. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe