Thread: A Bavarian sword

A Bavarian sword

Hi folks - I am far from knowledgeable about German swords. However I know from the coat of arms on the pommel cap of this sword that it is Bavarian. The maker's mark on the damascus blade is Weyerburg and I presume therefore that it dates to before 1883 when they merged with Kirschbaum. But does anyone here know anything more about this sword please? The style of the grip makes it look later in date to me, but it only has the Weyersburg king's head mark. I cannot find a similar one in any of these books I have but I have seen a similar one sold in auction before, where it was described as a Bavarian state guard's sword.
    Any info appreciated.
    Matt

"Mensur" Fencing weapon...

Dale

This is hugely different to a schlager. The sabre blade is 1 1/8 inches wide and sharp pointed. And of course it doesn't have a basket hilt. And a scabbard. So no, not at all like a schlager

The grip is clearly inspired by a schlager though, yes. Not the rest of it though.

Interesting. The grip is somewhat "sporty." Can you post a pic of the whole sword?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Always show the least you can when asking for an ID. It helps when playing blind man's bluff and twenty questions.

Here is a Bavarian cypher on a blade that is also not a mensur sword. It is not uncommon to see such on a blade but there is certainly nothing on the pommel.

I wonder what type of sword it is?

Cheers

GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 09-18-2017 at 07:19 PM.

I'll take full length pics as soon as I can.
    Glen, that's a circa 1900 German artillery officer's sword or something similar?

Sorry, I was teasing a bit.

That's a MaxII, hardly 1900, definitely Bavarian. Close to Bavarian state guard swords I have seen. See the Landwehr-Offizierss�bel, M1854 listing here Some other neat stuff there as well.
    http://www.antikportal24.de/cms/?Mus...useum:Sammlung

Cheers
    GC

Guys; The finger loop almost always matches the state colors. In this case, Wuerttemburg, Red+Black. Bavaria would be Blue+White...

Dale

Interesting - I think the pommel coat of arms is that of Bavaria; it doesn't seem to match Wurttemburg. I'll try to get full photos up ASAP - I have not so far because the forum has been blocked from most of the computers I use (Google has flagged the site as malware).