Thread: Help with Hilt Cartouche on 1822 patt

Help with Hilt Cartouche on 1822 patt

Hi. I have just acquired this sword its a 1822 pattern Infantry sword pipe backed blade, could any one please identify the DM 11 on the hilt many thanks for any help. Richard.

Name:  20170922_232323 - Copy (2).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  91.0 KB

Not sure but I've seen DM ii used in monogram form in at least one item marked for Maria 2nd of Portugal (representing Doña Maria).

She certainly was supported by British naval and army forces in 1831 which would fit the 1822 pattern hilt and the pre 1845 pipeback blade.

Not sure at all so this is just speculation.

If it is Maria II then a wiki on Brigadier-General Sir Charles Shaw will give a little background on British volunteer elements in the Portuguese civil war. How they were armed I have no idea however considering British support and the fact that the Portuguese had been armed by the British throughout the Napoleonic wars it seems possible that the British officers serving were equipped with British pattern weapons. I'd be interested to have this speculation confirmed.
    Last edited by james.elstob; 09-22-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james.elstob View Post
    If it is Maria II then a wiki on Brigadier-General Sir Charles Shaw will give a little background on British volunteer elements in the Portuguese civil war. How they were armed I have no idea however considering British support and the fact that the Portuguese had been armed by the British throughout the Napoleonic wars it seems possible that the British officers serving were equipped with British pattern weapons. I'd be interested to have this speculation confirmed.
    Hi James. Many thanks for your help I think you may be right, On close inspection of the blade there is a very faint crown with shield underneath with five small shields in rows of 1/3/1 with seven castles around the edge which I believe is the Portuguese coat of arms on the other side is the crown and DM 11 same as the hilt. Many thanks Richard.