Thread: The Hollow Blade

The Hollow Blade

I want to buy. I have been reading on Shotley Bridge, Harvey and the puppy dog fox mark. I am in need of The Hollow Blade: the German Sword Makers of Shotley Bridge by J.G. Bygate. If anyone has a copy for sale or knows of one I would appreciate any help.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Free online: http://news180.org/page/the-hollow-b...hotley-bridge/
    However I don't like the idea of creating a free account and then they want your c/c details
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 10-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

I tried that Will but they wanted my credit card number. Way to much info for free.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I agree and the reasoning for the info was poor. More like a phishing site to max out a c/c. All the regular sites for books don't have it. Prices rise with out of print material, the book of swords of 1812 one example.

Swords And Sword Makers Of The War Of 1812 (Hardcover) 60 to 160 US wow! The kindle 55 bucks unbelievable.

I've seen it for as much as $500. Speculators? Regardless I have a copy and bought when it was $40.

Hello Eric, it was re published a few years since, by the local Miners Hall here in Durham, I've got the phone number and will give them a call after the weekend, to see if they still have any.
    Mel.

Thanks kindly Will, Mel and Ben for your help. Ben this is a most excellent thread on Hounslow, Shotley Bridge and Samuel Harvey http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23157. I have been reading and rereading for hours and am afraid my new educations have done out run my intelligence. It only makes me want the book more and other papers listed in article I cannot find. Wyoming is somewhat limited in facilities that accommodate study in swords and history other than Mountain men, wagon trains and Cowboys. Many regards Eric

In addition to The Hollow Blade: the German Sword Makers of Shotley Bridge [J.G. Bygate] I am also looking for
    The German Sword Makers of Shotley Bridge ...
    Atkinson
    1000 Marks of European Blademakers/1000 Znakow...
    Caldra House
    "The Shotley Bridge Sword Blade Co." Appleby-Miller, 1943)
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 10-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.

I have a couple of pages that I found somewhere titled, The German Sword Makers at Shotley Bridge. There's no mention of an author but it seems to have been published in the Monthly Chronicle of North-Country Lore and legend. MAY 1888. Is that possibly the one you're looking for?
    Have you seen The Swordmakers of Shotley Bridge, The Shotley Bridge Swordmakers - their strange history - by David Richardson?
    Worth noting also that R.H.Bezdek gives some good coverage in Swords & Swordmakers of England & Scotland.
    Another paper, read at the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, Newcastle on Tyne. June 1953, not often seen is, The Hollow Sword Blade Company and Sword Making at Shotley Bridge. By Rhys Jenkins.
    Mel.
    Last edited by Mel H; 10-07-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Mel, I have the 1888 piece but having some trouble finding the other two you mention. Well I did find David Richardson one but its out of my price range. Its not real high but still 2700.00 is a little much for me.Eric