Thread: Prussian Mod 1852 Marked for 15th Hussaren...

Lightbulb Prussian Mod 1852 Marked for 15th Hussaren...

Fellows; Went to a gun show locally (Birmingham AL) Among all the stuff was one Prussian Saber. It was the only one there, no other German or French Swords were found. I had to negotiate, but eventually bought it....

Maker is A.WERTH/SOLINGEN, Dated (18)69 Friedrich Wilhelm...and troop stamped for 15th Prussian Hussars.

Their war record in the conflict of 1870-71 was somewhat strange, 7 killed, 1 missing, and 13 died from disease.
    I supposed this is not one of the Death Ride units....(Mars La Tour)

This rare rat was in a tulwar scabbard! The seller thought it was correct. Fortunately, I have spares..

I am in the process or removing ancient varnish from the weapon. I did get most that was on the blade. The hilt will have to be done carefully..

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

That's a nice one, Dale. It's great to see a m/1852 marked to something other than a Train Battalion for a change.

A great sword Dale, and marked to a cavalry regiment and dated! Having spare scabbards is a must for collecting swords, the secret is out.

Having twice as many die from disease as killed sounds about right for that period, but it does seem like they didn't get into any serious battles (except for the seven). That is a great sword especially since the unit makings gives you some idea of its history. Whether used in battle or not, you can be pretty sure it went to war.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Unit Markings ??

OK Gents; Take a look at this one. More unit marks than fleas on a hound dog... BTW: The last one is Reserve Bakery Column XXXX.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No candlestick maker battalions