Thread: Steel Hilted Smallsword

Steel Hilted Smallsword

Up for consideration and comment is a steel hilted smallsword. Faceted steel hilt with cross guard and chain. Small pays d'an, bosses and indented decoration to inside of shell guard. The front face of the guard is polished steel with no trace of blacking or blueing left (if there ever was any). Blade is traingular cross section, fairly stiff with a wicked point but no real edges. No etched decoration, makers mark or name. I am thinking English or French circa 1790? Anybody like to confirm that? Italian, Spanish, 21st century Chinese? All opinions and thoughts gratefully received.

Some stats:

Weight, sword:12.7oz (0.36kg)
    Length overall: 37'' (94cm) Blade:31''(79 cm)
    POB: 2.5'' (6cm)
    Profiletaper: 0.89'' (22.6 mm) at ricasso, 0.45'' (11.4mm)at midblade, 0.25'' (63mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Distal taper (measuredacross triangle forming fuller) 0.39'' (9.9 mm) at ricasso, 0.23'' (5.9mm)at mid blade,. 0.13''(3.5mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The journey not the destination

Ill see if I can get my friend, Tom Donaho to weigh in.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Looks very English to me around 1800...
    http://swordlinks.com/courtswords/p21.html
    Last edited by Christopher Treichel; 10-27-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Here is a very similar one marked to Drury Cutler 32 Strand London
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...4-a46b0168e9d2
    Name:  original.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  original.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  56.2 KB
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Drury bought the shop on 32 Strand in 1771... There was a William Drury working as a gold smith on 32 Strand, London in the 1820s and William and his son were cutlers as well into the 1840s at 32 strand...

But the parts could have been ordered from a catalog and assembled by another cutler just as well.
    Last edited by Christopher Treichel; 10-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    Elbert Hubbard

Christopher,
    Thank you for the information and photographs. No name on mine and I cannot tell if there ever was one but stylistically the two are almost twins. If these are not by the same cutler then certainly produced around the same time and for the same market. I am happy now to attribute it as English circa 1790-1800.
    The journey not the destination