Thread: English civilian(?) sword, ID req'd please.

English civilian(?) sword, ID req'd please.

Hi,

With reference to the attached pictures, can anyone tell me anything about this elegant looking sword?
    It's overall length is 37" with a blade length of 31" approx.
    It appears to have a horn hilt with a silver hallmarked pommel.
    Many thanks in advance!

Regs
    B
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Going by online sources for British Hallmarks, I come up with the Hatfield family in Sheffield, mid to late 19th century. The H hallmark kind of unreadable as it may have been an & someone, or a pre-fix association.

I can't really speak to the overall but the figure eight guard what one sees on 19th century fencing epee. Made as a personal protection piece I woulds think and considering society at the time, my hunch would be earlier/mid 19th century.

Cheers

GC

Could it have originally been a sword cane that some-one has "Modified" into a more sword-like weapon with the addition of an epee guard ? The silver pommel just doesn't seem to match with the guard ? Would it be possible to get a pic of the hilt and guard area for a more detailed look ?

Gentlemen I also have an epee or foil type marked to Ames. My thoughts were composite, but parts seem age appropriate. The blade on mine also pointed and double edge similar to m1860 officers. I am away from home but is it possibly not composite. I will post photos on return. I did not realize some of these foil types were made with business blades.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I can really only speak to the guard type and the pommel itself. It could easily be a composite, as one is silver and the other not. That doesn't preclude it having been put together in the 19th century.

Cheers

GC

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on this and having researched the hallmarks on the pommel, I believe they give a place/date of London 1813. Of course I stand to be corrected on this but I will provide more pictures shortly.

Regs
    B

S for Sheffield. No?

The handle looks like it is from a set of cutlery. My guess is that it is a composite piece.

Hi Glen,

S is the date stamp for 1813 with the pre 1820 Leopards head stamp for London. Please refer to the attached picture.
    Incidentally, the city stamp for Sheffield is a crown.
    I've just double checked the pommel picture against the hallmark picture and have had second thoughts.
    Maybe, in actual fact the city stamp on the pommel might be the crown of Sheffield after all.
    Which, in conjunction with the S stamp make the pommel 1885?

Regs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bernie T; 10-25-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Cool, I guess you have found the answers.

Cheers

GC