Thread: Hobson & Sons sword questions

Hobson & Sons sword questions

Hi,

I have a Cross hilted sword to the Scots Fusiliers from Hobson & Sons, Little Windmill Street, London. Would they have made this sword?
    The serial number that is stamped on the edge of the ricasso is prefixed by a 'P' does this have a particular significance?
    And finally the tang is stamped 'P P' would this be an inspector stamp?
    Pictures can be provided, if required.

Regs
    B

1884-1886 at that address. They made clothing, belts, slings, badges etc. but not swords, they only retailed swords bought from other sources.
    The "P" may represent proved. Would need to post photos.

Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply, here as requested are some more pictures. I took the liberty of including a picture of the regimental badge that is etched on the blade, to boot!

Regs
    B
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I've not seen that particular type of serialization before. The crest I can't see, my eyes would need a larger photo.
    Maybe others know what it is.

Later at Lexington Street. Photos from an Edward VII 1897 Infantry. Oldswords web site indicates that Hobsons sold swords made by Mole. I think my example was made by Pillin.
    Last edited by Guy C; 10-26-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Additional infom re Pillin
    The journey not the destination

Hi,
    Your number P97006 may very well be a Pillin number, I have had a number of Pillins pass through my hand that were marked to Pillin and had a P at the start of the number. Most I have been able to equate to specific officer. The number on yours puts it in the range 1856 - 1859. Are there any etched initials at the Fort of the blade?
    Regards
    Martin

Hi,
    Thanks there are indeed initials etched on to the blade.
    With reference to the attached picture they appear to be G. I. F.
    But I stand to be corrected,
    Thanks again!
    B

I believe you are correct with the initials. Should be able to identify the officer with these initials. The 1856-1859 range is a good short range to search through .

The proof slug with a P is that of Pillin. Pillin was making blades for lots of outfitters, including Hobson.

Hi Will,

Any news ref those initials?

Regs
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    I believe you are correct with the initials. Should be able to identify the officer with these initials. The 1856-1859 range is a good short range to search through .

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for that!

Regs
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    The proof slug with a P is that of Pillin. Pillin was making blades for lots of outfitters, including Hobson.

I suggested it was possible to find him but I don't have the references for that.
    Others here may have the listings.

The army lists do not show anyone with the initials GIF in the Scots Fusiliers. The closest I can find thus far is George William Furlong (ensign, 1855, etc.), but will keep checking.
    Geoffrey (Cecil) Twisleton (Wykeham-) Fiennes (ensign, 1879, etc.)
    Neither of these is satisfactory. I'm done.
    P.S. Hobson & Sons were in business on Little Windmill St. from 1879 till at least 1888, but nothing in the lists for GIF in that date range for either Scots Fusiliers or Fusilier Guards or Volunteer Battalions. Another damned mystery! Perhaps he never served after being commissioned. That's presupposing that the initials and the regiment are correct as stated.
    Last edited by L. Braden; 11-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.