Thread: Governor General Foot Guards of Canada Picquet Weight Sword, Pattern 1854

Governor General Foot Guards of Canada Picquet Weight Sword, Pattern 1854

Hi all, I was able to pick up a beautiful Pattern 1854 Foot Guards sword this weekend. The sword is made by E. Smith, 139 Ebury St. London. I don't know this maker so I'm hoping a forum member can let me know when this sword was made. The blade is near mint with a frosted panel having The Governor General Foot Guards of Canada in it along with a etched version of the regimental badge. The proof plug is in silver, "PROVED P" within the typical star. I also find it interesting that there is no Royal Cypher or Arms on the blade. Is this a Guards tradition as there is a regimental badge on the guard itself? I've attached a collage of the sword for reference.

Regards,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Greg my psychic senses tell me you found this sword at the Oshawa show. Nice find!

Yes Will, I think it's a sleeper. The badge etched into the blade has a Victorian crown so I'm thinking this may be a pre-1900 sword. Once I find some info on the maker I'll know for sure.

BTW, thanks for helping out on prices of scabbards, I passed your info on to my father!

Greg

PM sent.

Thanks for info Will, not that old but still beautiful!

Greg

I thought I'd add some images of the frosted etching. Will M has been very helpful but I'm wondering if anyone from the UK knows more about the maker?

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Super sword, E Smith will have been the retailer, I think the sword maker is probably ’P’ for S J Pillin 1881-1919ish.

Thanks Ben!

Great looking sword!
    Ive seen a "Edward Smith,military cap and accoutrement maker,139 Ebury Street,Eaton Square SW" in London...and apparently The Queen uses a sword for investitures that belonged to George 6th made by an "Edward Smith"...according to the BBC

Thanks Stuart!