Thread: Lead Cutter 1886

Lead Cutter 1886

A recent find is this lead cutter sword dating Nov. 1886 made by Mole. Has a 31 inch long blade by 1 3/4 inch wide and 3 pounds 6.4 ounces in weight.
    It retains its original scabbard and frog. The hilt is Reeves patent with ribbed iron grip slabs. Sharp and ready to cut lead bars or sheep in half.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Perhaps a stupid question but I have watched these swords from afar for some time. Not knowing an abundance about British swords and patterns I have to wonder the purpose of these swords. Hacking cutlass or to cut through the late leather and cloth body protection? They are a very unusual and attractive weapon but must be quite heavy. Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I believe these were used for skill at arms feats. The hilt is painted black with most of the paint intact.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

A Ha, Show and Tell. My swords bigger than yours. I get it.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Hi, folks.

These 'skill-at-arms', or 'assault-at-arms' events included several 'manly' exercises, carried out both by the military and sportsmen. Typical of mid- to late 19th century. Here you have a depiction of the disciplines held at one particular event. The man in the right is attempting a cut to a bar with a cutlass pretty much like yours, Will.

Best,
    JJ

Name:  cutlass_wrestling - small.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  75.7 KB
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

hi all I have a lead cutter also made by mole they told me at this site it was a lead cutter I guess the question now is why didn't they just use the real cutlass they had instead of making a lead cutter which is what they told me what is was for ??? thanks bill

more info on lead cutters see matt Eastman post 12-11-2015 04 Lead cutter sword by matt Eastman....... bill

I can't imagine these swords actually cutting in half a lead bar. Lead is quite difficult to cut since it has a tendency to stick together very well. I once required a large hydraulic press and a thick blade attached to shear a lead bar in half.
    Most likely they did not actually cut the bar in half

If these swords were only made to cut lead in competitions, why do they have such robust large guards?
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

The guard on mine has an oval reinforcing plate being riveted with 4 rivets.