Thread: Marking help??

Marking help??

Does anybody know this mark?

Thank you in advance.

Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bureau of Ordenance ?? A couple of more pics of the full sword and/or the hilt might make identification easier ?
    Last edited by Ralph Grinly; 12-03-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Board of Ordnance marking. The board began in the Tudor period and ended in 1855.

Thank you!

These are the other markings on the blade...the name appears to be "SKG" or "SKC" over "Harvey".

I am intentionally not showing the rest of the piece, as I am pretty sure that it is composite, but I would like to know if it is British???

Also what swords the maker would be associated with....not sure what to make of the fox thing...

Thank you!!!!
    Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The bushy tailed fox is the trade mark of Samuel Harvey swordmaker of Birmingham, the letters are S&G for Samuel and George, circa 1767-1778, don’t be a spoil sport, let’s see it all!
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 12-05-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Theres a company here in the UK...selling a blade only with almost identical markings...described as a "1759 pattern British Cutlass,found some years ago in the basement of a London gunsmiths"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart A.Anderson View Post
    Theres a company here in the UK...selling a blade only with almost identical markings...described as a "1759 pattern British Cutlass,found some years ago in the basement of a London gunsmiths"
    Thank you Stuart!

Do you perhaps know where that might be? Is/was it online?

Thank you!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    The bushy tailed fox is the trade mark of Samuel Harvey swordmaker of Birmingham, the letters are S&G for Samuel and George, circa 1767-1778, don’t be a spoil sport, let’s see it all!
    Ben, I see you are in Shakespeare's country. I did so enjoy my brief linger there! Thank you for the information. I will reveal the entire piece, but it has been a topic on this forum before. At that time, there were some disparaging opinions of authenticity that were levied against it. Personally, I cannot think that anyone would go to such extent to "fake" such a plain piece. Anyway, the information you have provided would put the hilt to a slightly later period, than the blade....which is in keeping with the appearance of the overall piece. A very old, well fitted, composite....It is so great to have knowledgeable input from over the pond!

All input is appreciated. This is my second attempt at this post...the first disappeared somewhere in the void...

Best
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon R.; 12-05-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R. View Post
    Thank you Stuart!

Do you perhaps know where that might be? Is/was it online?

Thank you!

Simon

Its SPANDAU MILITARIA...based in Nottingham.....the blade is priced at around $84 to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart A.Anderson View Post
    Its SPANDAU MILITARIA...based in Nottingham.....the blade is priced at around $84 to you!
    I contacted them. They assert that the blades are original. Those blades are as you say, pretty much identical. Thank you!