Thread: Mark on an M1852 Naval Officers Sword

Mark on an M1852 Naval Officers Sword

Can anyone identify this mark on an imported M1852 Naval Officers Sword?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The mark is apparently only partially struck, and that the missing part is an "H" within a circle. I believe this was for Solingen maker Samuel Hoppe.

Thank you.

Did some more looking and Hoppes mark on CW swords seems to a bee hive so the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by GC Roxbury View Post
    Did some more looking and Hoppes mark on CW swords seems to a bee hive so the search continues.
    You are right, he did use a bee hive mark, but I believe the "S" and "H" in conjoined circles was an alternative mark. I have seen it before, but unfortunately I can't put my finger on any examples right now. Do any other forum members have any photos or links?

I have seen this somewhere but lost in the fog at the moment.

What is the blade width and may wee see more of the etch? Could it be Span Am or later?

Maybe in the 1852 naval sword thread.

Cheers

GC

The blade is 1" wide and is CW vintage. The blade is near mint and contains the typical CW style naval motifs. I also received information from another dealer/collector that the blade mark was that of Hoppe but I'm still looking for a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by GC Roxbury; 12-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Here is a photo of a complete example of the mark from a M1850 foot officer's sword. I have always heard this was a Samuel Hoppe mark, but I have no authoritative text I can cite to support the identification.

Name:  M1850 Foot Officer Circled S H comp.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  73.7 KB