Thread: M1860 JBA-Marked Cavalry Saber

M1860 JBA-Marked Cavalry Saber

This is what Thillmann tells us about the M1860 cavalry sabers marked "JBA" on the ricasso: "Nothing is known of the company that may have made this saber. However, based on style and manufacturing techniques, knowledgeable collectors agree that the saber is American made." He speculates they may have been made by Ames or Emerson and Silver.

In the past year, I have seen four examples of these come on the market, all of which were stamped, in addition to "JBA", with the letter "T" as is found on swords produced by Tomes, Son, and Melvain. To me, this is pretty convincing evidence that Tomes was the producer of these swords, and "JBA" is probably the initials of a retailed who handled them.

Name:  Cavalry JBA Tomes Donley 3.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  35.2 KBName:  Cavalry JBA Tomes Donly 2.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  23.1 KB

Any alternative opinions?

Could it be the initials of a weapons inspector as a sign that it passed product tests?

The T on these are very distinctive.
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Tomes
    Interesting thoughts Richard. JBA?
    Eric
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Saw this on: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcol...rks/page1.html

”J.B. Allere, Chicago
    This ID is only one possiblity. These usually seem to have initials underneath the JBA, possibly those of inspectors. I've seen AGM inspection marks on these swords, making these the only swords other than Roby's that had that inspector. It is possible that the blades were surplus blades that Roby sold to another manufacturer.
    Picture:
    JBA mark with inspector's initials underneath. ”

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus K View Post
    Saw this on: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcol...rks/page1.html

”J.B. Allere, Chicago
    This ID is only one possiblity. These usually seem to have initials underneath the JBA, possibly those of inspectors. I've seen AGM inspection marks on these swords, making these the only swords other than Roby's that had that inspector. It is possible that the blades were surplus blades that Roby sold to another manufacturer.
    Picture:
    JBA mark with inspector's initials underneath. ”
    I do not believe those are inspector's initials shown in the picture, or at least not US government inspectors. Couple reasons: They are not the size or font used by Army contract arms inspectors, and do not look at all like the "A.G.M." mark on Roby swords; it appears to be just "GA.". Second, inspectors' initials are never found on the blades of CW-era swords just by themselves. They will also be marked with a "U.S." and the year-date of the acceptance. I'm not sure what these marks mean - maybe they were applied by the maker for some internal production control purpose, or perhaps by the end user, but I'm pretty sure they were not put there by a government inspector.