Thread: Help wanted with P1796 purchase

Help wanted with P1796 purchase

I apologise to fellow forum members if a similar thread already exists but I am seeking advice on what to look out for when buying a 1796 pattern Heavy Cavalry Sword. I understand that there are a lot of fakes in circulation and am hoping someone out there can give me some pointers as to things I should look out for to help me try to differentiate the fake from the real thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards to all
    RickP

Hi Rick,

Use the on site search facility or do a Google search for "swordforum 1796 HC" and read everything you can find.

There is so much on here and the exposure to discussions on both real and repro items will give a much better basis than a one off summary.

Enjoy

I would suggest attending militaria shows where swords such as these are sold. Nothing better then holding one in the hand. Handle many and take your time.
    Never be in a rush to purchase and always beware when it's too good to be true, because it most likely is.

Thank you James and Will. I’ll do as you suggest.

Regards to all
    Rick

As with most swords I would suggest only purchasing a sword with its scabbard. Scabbards can take years to find if you find one, and contribute greatly to the value of the sword and resale ability.
    Are you looking for an officers dress, undress sword or a troopers sword? There are some different details to look for in an officers sword.

Hi Will,
    A Troupers Sword. I note what you say about scabbards.

Kind regards
    Rick

I just looked at a 1796 HC troopers sword by Osborn & Gunby which is for sale. It had a blackened blade; can anyone tell me why the blade might be so finished?

Regards to all
    RickP

The blade was not finished black but without its scabbard and over time with handling blades can make them appear black.

Thank you Will.

I see lots at the shows, with modifications to them. Even if period done, how does this affect value or demand?

I would say the more original the better. Having the point modified does not seen to affect value. Regimental marks that are identifiable add to value.
    I would say the cut down guards are not as attractive.

Thanks Will, I know someone with just such mods, blade clip and 1 piece of guard removed,perhaps. On a HC he is selling. Both often done before major battles,by order of their CO's, so I have read in history books. I GILL with a worn down T, stamped on spine; maybe crown 4, if I recall.
    Last edited by G.J.West; 01-21-2018 at 05:03 AM.

The only modification done before a battle with the 1796 HC troopers sword was modifying the hatchet point to spear point though not all were modified.
    Cutting down of the guard was a later modification in peacetime.
    Gill made good swords.