Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: French 1845-1855 truly combat worth

Ahhh ...I see .. I must have miss understood.. Yeah somewhere I thought I had read that blades pressed into national service would have not National ( my bad ) but d’armie National on the spine . While those blades with this part of spine or blade inscription, while could still be inscribed Klingenthal/Chatellerault etc etc on blades were rather export to other countries, or a custom order etc etc
    Best regards
    B.

Ok, so on certain blades, you will see the words manufacture nationale (de Klingenthal, de Chatellerault, or St-etienne), which stands for national factory. This would be put on blades that were made by the official state factory. The word "nationale" in this case indicates that the government at the time was republican instead of royal or imperial. Trooper blades will usually have this inscription, but not all the time, and export blades might very well have it, but a blade made in Klingenthal in 1850 for example would not, as it was no longer an "official" factory, just a private one. As you remarked, I recently sold an American 1850 foot officer sabre which was marked and stamped.

Thank you indeed for the clarity Max
    B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12