Thread: Enfield 1908 cavalry troopers sword camouflage and advice

Enfield 1908 cavalry troopers sword camouflage and advice

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding the paint.
    Here is a Enfield made dated 11-15 cavalry sword.
    There a clearly 2 paint layers first green and then mustard/gold so could this be a legit combination.Somebody removed a little bit of the mustard/gold paint to look for regiments markings and the green paint below is well preserved.Should i remove the Mustard/gold layer?
    wooden grip looks to be blackened.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Silvien Bogers; 01-14-2018 at 02:46 AM.

grip

tip of the blade is also sharpened
    Maybe a personal carving in the wood

Thank you

The tan/gold paint appears to be silver with old varnish that has yellowed, this is not original paint. The grip is a brown composite material called Gutta Percha.

Thank you,

Then i will remove the silver paint and try to save as much green paint as possible.

It's best with this pattern of sword to disassemble to remove paint. More modern paints tend to remove easily while original paint does not seem to react with modern strippers.
    I see the blade washer is also painted which also tells me someone painted it to hang on the wall.
    If you find oxidation/patina under the green paint it too may be a later addition.

Thanks i will do that.At first site the silver is very easy to remove while the green isnt affected at all so i will be curious what the end result will be.

I thought that may be the case. I'd like to see the results after the silver is gone.

That is interesting on the paint, Will. What is the base on old paint that will not dissolve with stripper? I used stripper on an m1813 Starr calvary that was gold painted and the silver paint underneath was untouched as was the the original Japan black.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Just give it a small treatment today and there is still a portion of what i think original olive drab paint.It should be cleaned up well after a few times.
    Hard to take good photos due the weather.

Thank you