Thread: Can a rapier penetrate a human skull?

Question Can a rapier penetrate a human skull?

Just a thought I had while watching The Walking Dead. Now I'm sure no doubt the zombies on the walking dead are no problem.... people have used lots of flimsy things to get through a zombie head but what about fresh non-rotting human skulls? Or even animal skulls? I have a Windlass steel rapier and I'd be sort of surprised if it can get through a head just because I can sort of bend the blade with my hands. It doesn't seem to stiff and ridged. I'd try to puncture a coconut but Idk if that's good for the blade?

Anyways... what do YOU think?

I would stop watching such movies if I were you. They seem to give you bad thoughts.

Capo Ferro's "The Grand Simulacrum of the Art and Use of Fencing" of 1610 has a number of illustrations of a rapier penetrating a man's head, even passing all the way through. Granted, there may be some artistic license in that latter, but living bone is not the hard material we think of bone being. If a rapier can penetrate a sternum or between the ribs (which would necessitate some cutting of at least one rib), why shouldn't it be able to penetrate a skull?
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Hmm interesting, thanks for the input. I thought that, but I wondered why I never see rapiers in zombie movies. Others like long, swords, short swords and, the, very overused ... Katanas... but never rapiers.

Perhaps because rapiers aren't effective at decapitation, which is a quick and sure way of disabling if not killing a reanimated corpse, rather than trying to penetrate the brain or the heart.
    Last edited by L. Braden; 01-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock H View Post
    Capo Ferro's "The Grand Simulacrum of the Art and Use of Fencing" of 1610 has a number of illustrations of a rapier penetrating a man's head, even passing all the way through. Granted, there may be some artistic license in that latter, but living bone is not the hard material we think of bone being. If a rapier can penetrate a sternum or between the ribs (which would necessitate some cutting of at least one rib), why shouldn't it be able to penetrate a skull?
    Yo, Brock! Had a look at Capo Ferro's artwork, and most if not all head penetrations appear to be through eye, ears, and mouth - perhaps the most vulnerable parts of the head - rather than (for examples) through the forehead or cheeks or upper part of the sides of the head. But as you indicate, penetration of the latter by rapier could have occurred. Cheers!