Thread: Proof Mark

Proof Mark

I have been unable to find what maker used a Proved over W proof mark. Can anyone identify?

thanks

Bill can you post a photo of the mark? The mark could be Wilkinson, not the famous Wilkinson Sword though, as that mark is HW.

Photo

Here is a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Does anyone know the answer?

References I have do not show this particular proof disc. I can't remember if this one matches the other Wilkinson. Someone with a sword from this other Wilkinson may be able to confirm if it's the same one. No name or marking on the reverse side of the ricasso?

The reverse is: Flights Ltd, London, Aldershot, Camberley, and Woolwich.

Flights is the retailer/outfitter. This proof disc may not be traceable to the maker.

Bill, can you enlighten us as to what pattern of sword this is please.
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 01-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.

It is a George the V pattern 1897 sword and came with a steel scabbard.

The same proof slug is also found to be used by Graves, also of Woolwich. Coincidence most likely but perhaps a cutler with a Woolwich connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Someone with a sword from this other Wilkinson may be able to confirm if it's the same one.
    I have an example of the "other" Wilkinson proof slug, but it is a W in script, rather than the sans serif W shown on Bill's sword (see attachment). Also the "other" Wilkinson (who was not at all related to the Wilkinson Sword family) only used his name on swords he retailed for about a year (1849-1850 or so) before he packed it in due to pressure from Wilkinson Sword, which considered his use of the name a trademark violation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In a post from 2012 Robert W-L states that Flight Ltd were at 90 High Street, Winchester from 1920,( and at the same address previously under F W Flight from 1875), he also refers to the fact they used different discs for swords supplied to other outfitters. I cannot find any sword maker whose surname begins with W, (if indeed that is what the proof disc refers to) that could have made an 1897p, annoyingly that post also shows some good images of a Flights 1897p, but not the proof disc! For what it’s worth, Bezdek p.176 states in his Wilkinson Sword Company entry that they supplied swords to Flights as well as many other outfitters. W for Winchester?

I really appreciate all the info you all have provided. I may never know who produced the sword but it's still nice. Wished the W was an unknown Wilkinson mark.