Thread: Mexican officer eaglehead

Mexican officer eaglehead

A truly great find for a Mexican sword affectionado. The blade and possibly the etching by François Delacour & Backe and so marked on the ricasso 1837-1890 plus or minus 10. The distributor W y de G or rather (Wexel y De Gress) who were Colt and Winchester dealers in Mexico City in the 1860’s. It is possible and quite likely it was a blank blade etched with standard Mexican etch and hilted in Amozoc de Puebla ( the traditional home for this process in Mexico)with the new process of iron and silver work brought in to Mexico by Ferdinand Maximilian. This unique process is still used today in making silver high lighted iron charro spurs. Perhaps a very early Mexican eagle head that possibly inspired the Oaxaca made eagle heads of the late 19th and 20th century and still sold in markets in Oaxaca. The first two photos were before clean up. I ran out of elbow grease and ordered more and will finish clean up when it comes in.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 01-17-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Eric that is a great find, the hilt is quite something.
    Post photos after your elbow grease arrives and you've had time to use it, looks like this sword will come up very well.

Thanks Will the silver and gold high lights on the iron are quite striking when in good order. This one I fear is missing too much silver from years of neglect. I was suprised to see the gold in place once clean up started. I had heard of these iron hilt eagles but have never owned one complete with knight in armor and eagle eating snake etch. I have cleaned blade till give out but will start again next month when I return. Here is a link to a school that teaches this technique in Pubela Eric
    https://www.facebook.com/Articulos-c...0904776285344/
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Many years ago, Flayderman had a very similar, perhaps identical, sword for sale. The knuckleguard was a taught strap of leather rather than a chain. Could this be a pattern sword? Enjoy!
    Tom Donoho

Eric the hilt must have been wonderful when it was made. Looking at the FB page there are some great items like horse bits and 1911 Colt grips.

Is there some way you can order these items? I don't have FB.