Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: sword-bayonet

  1. #1

    sword-bayonet

    I am trying to find out anything about this old item I recently purchased, and also if anyone knows where I could purchase the missing attachment parts and also possibly a scabbard. Thanks!Name:  IMG_6305.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  109.4 KBName:  IMG_6306.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  108.7 KBName:  IMG_6307.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  101.6 KBName:  IMG_6308.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  96.6 KBName:  IMG_6309.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  103.0 KB

  2. #2
    Since there have been no responses, let me propose a question--is this a sword/bayonet for an Enfield rifle? If so, does anyone know what era it is? The wooden grips are throwing me off--can't figure out when these would have been used! Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    116
    Hi Jack, it's not for an Enfield rifle. It looks to me to be a Belgian or French bayonet. If French it should have writing on the back of the blade. Era would be the 1850s - 1900.

    Regards,

    Greg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Seattle Wa
    Posts
    92
    Looks like a French Chassepot

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nehring View Post
    Hi Jack, it's not for an Enfield rifle. It looks to me to be a Belgian or French bayonet. If French it should have writing on the back of the blade. Era would be the 1850s - 1900.

    Regards,

    Greg
    Thanks very much Greg--I looked the piece over carefully but could find only a "C" on the blade and a "TV(?)X" on the underside of the grip. To my knowledge, there are no words on the piece whatsoever--that's what makes identification so difficult for me! Thanks again--I really appreciate your help. Jack.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Evans View Post
    Looks like a French Chassepot
    Thanks so much for your reply, B. Evans--I will try and follow up on your possible identification and thanks again! Jack.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,094
    Turkish model 1874 Peabody sword bayonet. Janzens Bayonets and Kiesling Vol 3 #701

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Turkish model 1874 Peabody sword bayonet. Janzens Bayonets and Kiesling Vol 3 #701
    Thanks very much, Will. I looked this model up on arms2armor and it does look very similar. There are a couple of differences though--mine has wooden grips rather than pressed leather, and the blade is 22 3/4" rather than 22 3/8". I'm not questioning you, just pointing out the differences. Perhaps my grips have been replaced with wood, and there were variations in blade length. Thanks again for your help! Jack.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston area, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,094
    Most likely replaced grips, the leather tends to rot depending on conditions. Length of blade can vary and repointing always shortens them somewhat. Normal minor variations.

    I would think the wooden grips were done by a collector and not an armoury, but in that part of the world who knows since the photos show them to appear aged.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Most likely replaced grips, the leather tends to rot depending on conditions. Length of blade can vary and repointing always shortens them somewhat. Normal minor variations.

    I would think the wooden grips were done by a collector and not an armoury, but in that part of the world who knows since the photos show them to appear aged.
    Yes--I think your attribution is spot on--Thanks so much! Jack.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •