Thread: Sword identification?

Sword identification?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, so I'd just like to say hello

I could do with your help identifying a sword

I don't know if it's a reproduction or not? ( I can't find one the same), it just looks similar to swords from 1800-1820?

The blade looks old, the handle appears to be bone? The brass cross guard looks old but the quality doesn't look the best?

What are your thoughts on this?

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hi Rob

Welcome aboard.

Can you please share where this sword surfaced? I know many are going to say American militia or fraternal but I have seen some listed in the UK as some sort of society or presentation sword. An ebay listing that I should have listed, that I did not, was listed as Scottish in origin or Prince of Wales societal, something like that. I think you are not far wrong in the dating but it may prove to be a little later.

The blade type is reminiscent of some blade from the late 18th century up to the third decade of the 19th century, typically of a British or British like slim fuller with a narrow ricasso. Is anything at all visible on the blade as far as etching goes? What is the length of the blade?

The grip appears to be fine ivory. The other hilt fittings do not follow trends in American militia and fraternal swords but the wagon wheel, rising sun motif of the grip is seen on US militia swords but more typically in the 1840s and 1850s. The fine checkering more likely British or perhaps Europe but my bet would be British made.

Cheers

GC

How long is the blade?
    hc3

Ah, I did. I should have saved the text (I may have that and will look) It was listed as Scottish and Napoleonic era. I may have overlooked the one linked to the Prince of Wales but my mental thumb drive is skipping a bit this morning. Ah, the missing folder, many to come. I should have just uploaded the entire folder.

So, here are three more siblings of the type. The olive shaped pommel example was the one linked to the Prince of Wales and a presentation, iirc. At least one of our British forumites must recognize these or at least have seen book references. I'm just a nut that saves images. In this case, as similar to some US fraternal and militia swords.

Cheers

GC

I once again want to thank Mark McMorrow et al for the recent efforts fixing the attachment issues and for the tireless work behind the scenes. What is this? 27 images attached in this post.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply,
    The total length is 35" ( blade 29")
    There is no etching/ marks visible, I'm unable to remove the handle due to damage to the thread.
    I bought it locally (West Midlands England) from a junk shop.
    The only sword I could find of the same style (but a little more glamerous) is this: https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/c...rd-of-offering

I suppose it will be hard to get a definite date due to no markings.
    Do you think it has much value? ( have I got lucky )

Many thanks,
    Rob

Some more of the first and one shot of a later Wilkinson fraternal sword. Something is weird in my folder, as some are defaulting to others. Anyway, someone with the British books should know these.

Cheers
    GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 01-21-2018 at 05:57 AM.

It does have the simular style handle/ blade.

Hi Rob

Per the guidelines here, we can't post values. I will say that the olive pommel sword was listed towards the sky in price. What may seem rare, is often just overlooked.

Cheers

GC

Sorry about asking about value.
    I'm glad that it's original and had some age to it, just wish it was in better condition.