Thread: Spanish Calvary Saber? Marked 1818.

Spanish Calvary Saber? Marked 1818.

Hello,
    I have a saber marked Fabrica De Toledo ano De 1818. I am trying to identify this sword. The hilt is leather wrapped in metal wire with three vines to protect the users hand. That part seems to be made out of brass. There is also a marking stamped into the brass. The sheath also has a leaf pattern on the bottom. What I did find out is it could potentially be a Spanish - English light Calvary saber with a plated steel scabbard. If anyone could help identify this saber I would greatly appreciate it. Also, the saber has been owned by my father for 40 years and he does not remember where he bought the saber.
    Regards,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pschmitt; 01-23-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Paul this is a Spanish light cavalry sword made in the Toledo factory in 1818. Forum rules prevent valuations and it depends so much on condition, provenance etc.
    You can google this sword for past auction results which should give you market values.
    You can also list it in the antique classifieds in this forum with your asking price.

Thank you. Is it a specific model sword?

I don't have specific references for Spanish swords, someone else I'm sure can chime in.

Hello,

Yes, it is an example of a regulation Spanish pattern, the M1815 for Light Cavalry troopers. A really sturdy and reliable sabre, that was in service well into the 1840s... a classic.

Best,
    JJ
    SI, SI
    NO, NON