Thread: Solingen sword maker ??

Solingen sword maker ??

Interested to know if somebody could give me the origin of these initials .
    I just have this blurred image showing on the ricasso of a french cavalry sword the letters :
    J S N C (?) . First letter is probably a "J" last letter a " C" , may be second one a "&" and third one a "N' or a "K" . My guess is a Solingen maker but ... nothing into the Jean Lhoste's book pointing to a Solingen sword maker ...

Thank you for your help .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With what looks like a house etching on ricasso my best guess would be Solingen. JS&C in etch not stamp would possibly be Johann Smitchelbusch and company.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thank you Eric for your reply . I guess you are right .. after some research I found a very similar signature into a similar cartouche which show clearly J S & C . Johann Schimmelbusch production with the JSB signature point to Napoleonic era but the signature with " Compagnie " could be later production has mentioned into Jean Lhoste book ... but not clear at all . In your opinion , this later " Association " could still make this sword produced prior to Restauration / Louis XV!!!Name:  Johan Schimelbusch and Company%22 (of Solingen)..jpg
Views: 51
Size:  55.2 KB

I don't know but Johann Smitchelbusch and JS&C made swords I believe in the end of the 18th and first decade of 19th. I am unsure of exact dates.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe