Thread: Spadroon With A Different Pommel

Spadroon With A Different Pommel

Attracted to the oddities, I adopted this horn gripped spadroon over the weekend. A quite stiff blade, with some unfortunate pitting. There is no apparent American motif to the b&g but I'd wager the sword was born in England. It is, of course, entirely possible the sword was assembled somewhere else. I am not finding this pommel in the usual books. There is a slight cant of the casting towards the stirrup guard and it seems to have a bit of a French flavor while being otherwise. Fire gilt on brass.

A strange one.

Cheers

GC
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Open the images in a new tab for a larger view.

Federal period round pommels

I have a federal period saber with a round pommel but a little different. It has a bone grip but early small top fuller and no etch on blade. The round pommels quite unusual and a bit odd looking even though unique. Is there any American motifs on blade I could not see flag, eagle or liberty cap?
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks for the pic Eric. I don't see your's in the usual texts either. There are the Rose nco swords and smallsword types with globe like pommels but this one a first time I've seen it.

There is no apparent US motif on the blade decoration. The three small sections of foliate above a fairly standard drum and cannon with spears at the base (see pictures).

Cheers

GC

Glen, glad to see this one went to a member of our forum family. I had this so-called "acorn-mushroom" pommel spadroon on my watch list, primarily because of the unusual configuration. If it had had US motifs in the blade engravings, I probably would have bought it, but without them, I was reluctant to pull the trigger because I'm also watching a couple other things for which I might need the money. I wouldn't wager the grandkids' college fund on it, but there is enough family resemblance to the c.1790 pillow pommel/pressed horn gripped NCO swords that I believe it is probably a Birmingham-made sword for the American market.
    Last edited by Richard Schenk; 01-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Ball pommels

Ah good catch I had forgot about those bad boys. The other feature that stands out is the stirrup guards, usually associated with early swords. Also notice all three ball pommels have a capstan.
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 01-24-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schenk View Post
    Glen, glad to see this one went to a member of our forum family. I had this so-called "acorn-mushroom" pommel spadroon on my watch list, primarily because of the unusual configuration. If it had had US motifs in the blade engravings, I probably would have bought it, but without them, I was reluctant to pull the trigger because I'm also watching a couple other things for which I might need the money. I wouldn't wager the grandkids' college fund on it, but there is enough family resemblance to the c.1790 pillow pommel/pressed horn gripped NCO swords that I believe it is probably a Birmingham-made sword for the American market.
    I caved when I saw it at a briefly reduced price + offer. It was one of those instances where obscurity won out over reason. I almost messaged him on all the blades he was listing. The Staff&Field piece I think was the real deal those couple of days but the earlier sword more up my alley. Vehicle costs are upon me this year, so I jumped before I had a chance to regret it.

My French hanger has a bit of a capstan Eric. The big difference I see with other onion/globe pommel swords is this very defined form that should pop up in one book or another and so far, can't place it further than a general timeline and origin.

Cheers

GC