Thread: What do I have here (#2)

What do I have here (#2)

This one I expect is some form of Prussian or its ilk. I know here are people here who can probably tell me it was made by Stan on a Tuesday, but that sure isn't me...

Any clues?

Name:  PrussianFull.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  PrussianHilt.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  PrussianHiltReverse.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  98.4 KB

Thanks in advance!

David,

It is a German Model 1889 Infantry Officers Degen (sword). Interesting enough, it does not have the WII (Kaiser Wilhelm II) cipher on the eagle's chest, nor does it show on the handle. It has been suggested to me that the IOD89 that I have is probably a 1919 - 192? private purchase before the model and style changed. Interesting enough it has a scabbard with two belt loops reminiscent of scabbards prior to 1908.

I am not sure about the engraved/stamped info on the ricasso.

I am sure that some of this may be mistaken and some of the experts will give you a fuller explanation.
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Looks like a copy/repro to me.

Here is a close-up of the crest:

Name:  GermanEagle.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  95.6 KB

Lightbulb Repro

It is a repro of the 1904 version of the IOD 89.

Dale

Interesting to know that repros exists of this mdle..

Though that CHUNKIER than combat blade on a private purchase certainly sets the alarm bells ringing

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post
    Interesting to know that repros exists of this mdle..

Though that CHUNKIER than combat blade on a private purchase certainly sets the alarm bells ringing
    A visit to any reasonable sized town in many parts of Germany during the Schützenfest (shooting match) period will give an idea of how much of this imperial military style equipment is still in use for their quite magnificent parades, I don't suppose there has been a time in Germany when this pattern of sword has not been in production in order to satisfy the demand for such use, rather than as a deliberate attempt to produce fakes.
    I've enjoyed every one I ever went to and always looked upon it as a good excuse for a boose up but some of the locals take it all very seriously.
    Mel.
    Last edited by Mel H; 01-31-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Guys; Most of the original IOD 89 swords had a 25 or 26 mm blade, only the folding guard models made after this 1904 tended to have slightly less wide blades of 22 or 23 mm or a bit less. I have never encountered an 89/04 with a blade less than 25 mm, or a full guard model 89 with a light blade, but of course, they could exist. I have several "Kammerstuecken" with the full width blades to compare.

Dale

Seems we should take the ricasso markings at face value, i.e. that this is a repro made c.1958 by a firm with this logo and/or initials. Anyone have any idea who that might be?

I enlarged the photo which shows the letters etc. have been engraved by a machine and the blade fullers have been milled out and not forged. The fullers are not cut evenly in depth or length. The odd shield, letter and numbers appear meaningless.
    The grip ferrule is rough and the leather blade washer appears ragged.
    In previous photo showing the guard, the eagle details are fuzzy.
    These are some traits of Chinese made and eastern European copies.
    Then again this sword could have been a limited run for a German anniversary occasion etc. German cutlers who make swords etch their makers name on the ricasso.
    Modern made German swords seem to be better quality: http://www.wkc-shop.de/de/paradewaff...d-stahlscheide
    I've been googling to find a photo of a similar copy but no luck yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There was, as I remember it, before the ban on eBay listing swords for sale in the U.K., a glut of repro European swords offered from China, some quite acceptable looking and some less convincing.