Spanish lion Head Sword?

Hello
    What are your thoughts on this sword?
    It looks like a ww1 period type sword?
    I hope its not a typical tourist piece.
    Thank you
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I have one that is pretty similar. I saw one for sale on EBay recently with an asking price of under $100

I guy told me he bought one similar to mine when he was in the service during the 1950's in Spain. I don't know if they were tourist pieces or for Spanish Army officers.

Here's some pictures of mine. It's really a pretty well made sword, very sturdy and usable.

I bought an identical sword in Madrid in 1962. I was told it was a current reg Army sword. I really dont know if that is correct or not. I would be interested in some knowledgable comment.

If I am correct gentlemen, the first sword is a late model of the M1907 Puerto-Seguro sword (named after his designer Captain Luis de Carvajal, Marquis of Puerto-Seguro). It was the last combat sword issued to the Spanish cavalry. Originally designed in 1907 it did not enter production until 1918. It served not only in the North of Africa, but also in the Spanish Civil War (1936-39). There are action reports that show it was put into use in some charges and pursuits, to great effect. As late as 1930, Spanish cavalry regulations put every stress in getting as close as possible to the enemy to engage a sword fighting. The Spanish M-1907 cavalry sabre was widely used in the 1920s Morocco campaign, and by both sides in the Spanish Civil War. The M1907 Puerto-Seguro sword was the last combat sword issued to the Spanish cavalry. Those issued between 1939 to 1977 (Franco's regime), replaced the guard with the more elaborate guard design you have.

Whilst the second sword seems to have a similar guard, the curved blade is not commonly fitted to this sword.
    Last edited by George Charlton; 02-11-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Hello to the forum.

The first sword is a real M1943 for Army officers. Based on the old Pto Seguro but with a new hilt, it was issued in two lengths, a blade of 86 cm for mounted officers, 79 cm for officers on foot.

Troopers kept their old Pto. Seguro M1907, but with the iron hilt and scabbard blackened, and the hilt showing the new Spanish coat of arms established by Franco's regime.

That second sword with the curved blade looks like a composite or a fantasy version, in this case surely made for tourists or to fool some novice collector.

Best,
    JJ
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Hello
    Sorry about the late reply (hand surgery)
    Thank you all for your help and information.
    I really appreciate it
    Tony