Thread: Help Identify Antique Dagger

Help Identify Antique Dagger

I inherited what appears to be a rather crude antique dagger from my father. I have no clue where he might have gotten it or if he even knew what it is. It has a three-sided blade and a very loose-fitting metal scabbard that doesn't seem to fit on a belt. There is an anchor stamped in the hand guard. My curiosity is driving me nuts!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks very much like the end of a Gras bayonet fashioned into a trench knife. I would suspect WWI.

I agree about the blade and scabbard being from a Gras bayonet. The quillon and grip look to be from a French naval dirk. As has been said, probably a WWI trench weapon.

Alan

The M1874 Gras Bayonet has a T-backed blade and this shows a hollow ground triangular blade.

It is still a trench knife but the original bayonet it was made from was probably British. I've had two "bayonet riding crops" of the same vintage. One used a similar bayonet blade, the other a reused 18th century small sword blade.

Gentlemen, this is actually an 1833 model French navy dirk. They were sent to the front during WW1 to serve as trench daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
    Gentlemen, this is actually an 1833 model French navy dirk. They were sent to the front during WW1 to serve as trench daggers.
    Yes, this is 1833 french navy dirk 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
    Thank you for sharing!

I sure appreciate all of the information. It has me quite confused as to how or why my father acquired it. Here is a better perspective of it.Name:  20180301_125342.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  98.9 KB

More perspective on dagger

Here is another photo. My father was born Feb. 1921 and died Sept. 1997. His father was born June 1899 and died Mar. 1967. I'll have to through my father's geneaName:  20180301_125450.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  103.3 KBlogy records to see if any relatives were involved in WWI.

Jim, I sent you PM, please look

Apparently, the ones who were sent to the front in 1915 were stamped with an E over a star on the guard. I do not know if this was the case for all of them though.

Gentlemen, I really appreciate you information on this dagger. I did find another potential connection to it in the family however. Is there a possibility that this dagger was in fact from the Civil War? I had a relative on my dad's side that was in the Civil War.Name:  20180306_122420.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  97.9 KB
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-06-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Trying to add photo.

I am not aware that American soldiers carried these, unfortunately.