Thread: Hessen Offizier Sword from SOS

Hessen Offizier Sword from SOS

Gents,

I picked up a very nice Hessen Infantry Officer sword at the Show of Shows (SOS) in Kentucky that I thought I would show.

This is a Hessen Offizier sword made by Pack-Ohliger in Solingen and bears the Pack "Siegfried" logo on the ricasso. The blade is fully etched and has the Hessen lion with sword designation in the obverse blade etching. I had a Hessen Portepee which I added to the sword in the correct tie. These swords were made with both gilt and nickeled hilts and this hilt is nickeled with a leather finger loop in the proper red/white colors.

I am always happy to find a sword that I have been looking for and this is one more off the list.

Does anyone know the dates of operation for Pack-Ohliger?

George
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Very nice! Looks very smart with the portepee and the matching washer.

Artillery and Train, Infantry is gold over brass...

nice find!!

Dale

G'day from Down Under,

According to Richard Bezdek's book, German Swords and Sword Makers, Pack, Ohliger & Co were sword retailers 1905 - 1925.

No entry as sword makers for either during this time although, Ernst Pack Sohn (RMZ) are listed as sword and dagger makers during WW2, and operated as a company 1915 - 1951.

The workman swinging hammer is also listed as Ernst Pack, 1909 - 1999.

Hope this helps.
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Dale,

Thanks for differentiating the Infantry and Artillery/Train swords. These are hard swords to find with the two tailed lion blade etching.

George,

I appreciate the information on Pack-Ohliger & Co. I suspected this sword is of later manufacture since it has the black celluloid grip with twisted iron wire wrapping. This is the problem with the family retail outlet selling Ernst Pack made swords. The two companies got confabulated into one and I am sure this confusion was a marketing ploy on the part of Pack-Ohliger. Particularly since they used the Siegfried Waffen logo above their abbreviated company name. The Hessen Polizei continued to use these swords between 1919-1938 so that fits in with my Weimar Republic time period interest.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson