Thread: Le Page? French made for American Market

Le Page? French made for American Market

My latest acquisition I was forced to acquire by association. Not my association by an association of a one sword I already have. Please let me know if anyone has a similar, or has seen a similar sabre to these. In Mowbray's eagle pommel book on page 135 there is very similar resemblances to these two pieces, although Mowbray's are eagles. The second saber is the new addition. It was costly (IMO), but owning the one already, I had to get off the porch. I am spending much time comparing. Although the blades look the same, they have slight variations...one example, is that there is a capital "H" on "Honour" and the other is a lower case "h" in "honour". Spacing and slight variation of stroke and pattern is evident. One blade is marked under the languet in gild "K&S" (NOT "S&K") . The silvered plate on the scabbard is so thick, that it resembles solid silver. Only the patina towards the drag, and a chemical test on the inside of the scabbard proves otherwise. Another nuance, is that the spine of the blade of the silvered sabre has been intentionally rounded in contrast to the squared spine of the gilded sabre. The snake knucklebows are awesomely different.

Anyway, I think they make a fine brace!

All thoughts and comments requested....especially...Have you seen other examples?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

SSsssssssssssssnK hilts!

I remembered Goldie
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-K-amp-S-blade

Where is my niggly note of West Point presentation swords? I dunno, lost in time. One committee or another requesting snake hilts for distinguished officers.

K&S for Kirschbaum&Schimmelsbusch, which would imply not Le Page at all but a sword furbished by Schimmelbusch.

A ponderment awaits me.

Cheers

GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-18-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    SSsssssssssssssnK hilts!

I remembered Goldie
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-K-amp-S-blade

Where is my niggly note of West Point presentation swords? I dunno, lost in time. One committee or another requesting snake hilts for distinguished officers.

K&S for Kirschbaum&Schimmelsbusch, which would imply not Le Page at all but a sword furbished by Schimmelbusch.

A ponderment awaits me.

Cheers

GC
    Although these French-style swords are almost universally referred to as Le Page, most appear to have come from Solingen, with "K&S" being the most frequently encountered. I don't know that I have ever seen one actually marked with the Le Page name. They are usually said to have been made during the period in which the French occupied Solingen (I believe that was about 1807-1814) but I suspect they continued making swords in this style into the post-Napoleonic era.

almost universally referred to as Le Page
    Uh huh, yes I know and a continuation of myth for swords made as late as the 1840s. Imo, time to write a new page. Mowbray tried.

Cheers

GC

I am quoting this from me in a 2016 thread.

Certainly French style swords were made in Germany and sold to France. This is hardly limited to eagle pommel swords but any number of French inspired swords. Consider also Alsace, with the territory under control by both countries at different times.
    Jean le Page was much like Ketland, an assortment of arms (particularly firearms) much like Ketland in Birmingham. We do use names as a matter of convenience to describe some swords but a simple addition of the word "type" or "style", to me, makes it much less contentious.

So do we consider all French style US bound swords as Le Page, or do we look a bit further to describe them? To me, the number of swords for the US that could/should be considered as marketed by Le Page few and far between. The Foghorn Leghorn eaglehead a good candidate for that. The ultra fancy Bonaparte sword a more known candidate.

Name:  91a.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  99.6 KB

So, do we label a sword marked to K&S a Le Page?

Ok, but I won't. I might list some applicants as a LePage style but not in the case of swords with this spread eagle counterguard. Only the grip conveys much association to the Le Page I think of as part of that company's inventory.

Cheers
    GC
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-18-2018 at 12:14 PM.