Thread: Mle 1854 unknown model or use

Question Mle 1854 unknown model or use

Guys; I got this recently, The top of the blade is worn, and hard to read. I have the acid here that brings out such marks, but I do not like to resort to that..Scabbard does not match, but seems to be the correct length.
    Blade is 37.5" or 95.25 CM.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It may be an older Napoleonic flat spine blade re hilted? The later 1816p had a rounded spine.

Will: Hard to say, something is etched on the top, but it is too far gone to tell easily. The blade is not like my XIII, a different contour...I will make some comparisons later. The 1854 is like a lot of French stuff, various using units had slight differences in the blade length, etc...

Dale

Unstopped fullers...slightly rounded blade top...??

Dale

No poincon?

Lightbulb Poincons

Le Baron Marcel Bich...

I will look closely later tonite..

Dale

ETA: Here are some shots of the poincons. Appears to be "R" & "B" to me.. The experts will have to tell us the era of these stampings...
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 06-10-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add pix

I believe the R is for J. P. J. Reallon, Chatellerault director from May 11, 1875 to December 18, 1883. The B is for J. M. Brenier, 2nd class controller at Chatellerault from September 16, 1874 to July 11, 1889. The starred S in the diamond cartouche is for F.L. Sprenger, 1st class controller from June 24, 1879 to June 11, 1885 (source: volume 2 of the Petard series). That would make it Chatellerault production between 1879 and 1883, which seems consistent with your description. The shield-shaped stamp on the knucklebow, and the circular stamp next to it, might pin the dates down even more if you can clean them up so you can see what they are.

Mark, Thanks, I have to rewire the grip, and I will make more pix after that. The wire is metric, but with a couple of thousands of an inch of our 20 gauge wire....

Dale

Dale I find French swords tend to have a tight twist (more turns per inch) to the wire. I have coated the wire with a light oil which helps prevent the wire from breaking when twisting it this tight.

Will: I did that, and obtained some tarnished wire...so it should be fine....

Dale

Question Grip and tarnished wire

Guys: I wrapped it, and it turned out to match the general condition of the sword.

Dale

Looks good Dale. Those four strands under the pommel can be more difficult if they too are missing. French swords look so much better with all the grip wire.

Thanks; I will treat the leather later on...I use Armor-All, the Ballistol is too permanent......darkens leather forever, like the Picard's does.

Dale