Thread: Here's a challenge

Here's a challenge

I picked this up at auction as a job lot with a Burmese Dha I wanted.

Catalogue description:
    French converted short sword, possibly a trench weapon. 24 ½ inch square form blade with French maker to the forte. Simple steel knuckle bow. Polished wooden grip.

My stats:
    Weight, sword: 8.1oz (0.23kg)
    Length overall: 29'' (73.5cm) Blade: 24'' (61cm)
    POB: 3.5'' (19cm)
    Profile taper: 0.45'' (11.6mm) at ricasso, 0.27'' (7mm) mid blade, 0.18'' (4.6mm) 2 inches from tip.
    Distal taper 0.32'' (8.2mm) at ricasso, 0.15'' (3.8mm) mid blade. 0.11'' (2.8mm) 2 inches from tip.

Makers name on both sides of forte. Difficult to read, looks to be Louis Roche?? A St Etienne.. Figure 5 at base of ricasso both sides. Wooden grip is split with age and the blade has a slight bend.

Now French trench conversion seems as good an explanation as any but does anybody have any idea what it started life as? Any suggestions as to the full name of the maker.? If someone wants to tell me that this is a rare (and expensive) Model 1820 bis, Epee du Toasting Fork I would be more than grateful.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The journey not the destination

It's an old fencing blade that has been repurposed, although to what end I can't say. The 5 indicates the length.

"Fencing blades used to be widely available in sizes from “0” to “5” with a size “5” blade being the maximum legal length. A “size 5” blade will be the maximum length allowed, 90cm for foil and epee, 88cm for sabre. This measures to approx 35.4 inches in foil and epee and 34.6 inches in sabre." -- www.fencing.net

Search "Louis Rochetin St. Etienne" for other examples.
    Last edited by Mark Cain; 07-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cain View Post
    It's an old fencing blade that has been repurposed, although to what end I can't say. The 5 indicates the length.
    Thanks, obvious when you know what you're talking about, which sadly I didn't. The trench use seems a bit of a stretch now and I suspect theatrical use, home defence or maybe toasting fork wasn't too wide of the mark.
    The journey not the destination

I used to have one of those for changing channels on an old TV set in a shared student apartment...
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Ramos View Post
    I used to have one of those for changing channels on an old TV set in a shared student apartment...
    Good exercise to control the point in the lunge!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON