Thread: Does anyone recognise this blade marking?

Does anyone recognise this blade marking?

Hello all, the identification of this marking is proving elusive - has anyone seen it before? It's on both sides of the blade, with the one illustrated here being the best impression.

Thanks,

Matthew

Name:  oIDynhfm.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  30.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1687.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  100.6 KB

Have held off answering this in expectation that someone else would have the audacity to do so. Anyway, it resembles what can be seen in the frontispiece to Richard Payne Knight's An Account of the Remains of the Worship of Priapus, 1786; to wit, phallic symbols! These were placed almost everywhere and on everything as charms to ward off the Evil Eye, because they represented Life, whereas the Evil Eye represented Death; and being on both sides of the blade supposedly ensured that one's opponent would not be able to jinx you.

Honi soit qui mal y pense! See where your going with this... it’s a bit of a trompe L’oeil to continue the French, what I see is a man’s head wearing a Dutch type bonnet, sort of Bruegel the Elder. I also turned the image sideways and got something completely different! Beyond that, past my era, 1800ish? Is it a hangar or a longer blade ?

I said "resembles". Make of it what you will. As with clouds, people see different things. So, note the !
    Cheers!
    P.S. The curious can go to Wikipedia, enter Richard Payne Knight, and scroll down to Books; but whatever you do, DON'T reproduce on this forum the image that's on the left side of the page!
    Last edited by L. Braden; 07-14-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: P.S.

I don't necessarily believe that they are superstitious or even facetious symbols, but I at least gave an evidential or historical reason for them being such; and if anyone thinks otherwise, kindly provide an evidential or historical reason.

Very interesting observations, I have to say - thank you very much for the input. I've shared it about and many people seem to see the phallic connection, with the other suggestion being a head with a hat - I'm not sure either way. Richard Payne Knight's book was interesting to shift through. The closest similar marking I have found is an old Weyersberg one but that's by no means identical.

Enter in search engine: "carvings on a french sword blade from the 17th century".
    All of the figures are apotropaic or "evil-averting". "The emotion, shame, or laughter created by obscenity is the power that diverts the evil eye." ("Fascinus," Wikipedia.) The sword is supposedly in the Getty Museum.
    Last edited by L. Braden; 07-18-2018 at 10:21 AM.

P.S. Avoid opening any sites featuring the above, however legitimate. Revenge of the Evil Eye!
    Last edited by L. Braden; 07-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Just curious. Of what significance is a head with a hat on an old sword blade? Odd-looking head, if it is one, to say nothing of the hat! Also, what's the origin of the sword?
    Last edited by L. Braden; 07-20-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correction & question

Hat or not, it all looks odd to me. There were lots of heads used in profile, usually with crowns and such - but I can't find a hat like this. The research continues!

Ahh the blade now what a beauty, similar to the tri fullered trade blades but the fullers are deaper. Clip point also rarer point choice. Perhaps cavalry length as it looks very long. I think also Dutch type bonnet, sort of Bruegel the Elder. Nice sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Matthew, what length is the blade, and can we see the poorer mark on the other side please?

Where's a person's head in that jumble of objects? If that testiculate object is a hat, where's the human head beneath it? Even without a person's head, all I see are fascina or apotropaic phalloid objects similar to those in Knight's book and elsewhere. But as 'twas said, "in the eye of the beholder". Anyway, am awaiting an alternative explanation that is supported by credible evidence. And what of the other unanswered questions?

It is definately a head facing left. I think I used to have a sword with the same blade stamp.
    But it's hard to remember them all after decades of collecting.

I've added a sketch to show the outline. Or something close to it.
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 07-29-2018 at 06:48 AM.

He does remind me of Columbus!

Thanks indeed, Gene! Mystery solved. Now, all that we need to know is the origin of the sword and therefore who or what that image represents.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Braden View Post
    Thanks indeed, Gene! Mystery solved. Now, all that we need to know is the origin of the sword and therefore who or what that image represents.
    Cheers!
    You're very welcome.

Thanks for that, Gene - that's about what I see too. There's definitely a touch of pareidolia with this marking, though. A few more details of the sword: overall length: 32 inches, blade length: 27 inches. The handle is bone. The blade is single-edged, well used and still sharp. I'm having trouble attaching decent photos but here are a few more:

Name:  Rog6pQWl.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.0 KB
    Attachment 151720
    Name:  IMG_1684.jpg
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1685.jpg
Size:  101.7 KB
    Last edited by M Forde; 07-30-2018 at 03:37 AM.