Thread: Maberly

Maberly

There are five British boarding axes in the Royal Armouries museum all made by Sargant and also marked with the BO and the broad arrow signifying government ownership.

On the reverse side they are all marked MABERLY 68.

It seems unlikely to be a manufacturer considering they are already marked to Sargant. I have found naval officers with that name but this also seems an unlikely explanation. I can find no record of a ship naval or merchant at least in British records.

Does any one have an edged weapon marked to Maberly or know of a ship called that?
    Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

The axes were probably made around 1820/30. A new pattern was introduced in 1859.

Regards, David.

David, a long shot, but having googled’ Maberly’ as no doubt you have, I found a wood mill in that area of Ontario that was noted for making axe handles from the mid 19thC up until 1960! Coincidence or a possibility if the stamp is on the wood??

Hi Ben,

Thanks and that was a good thought, and I have seen handles marked with a maker, but this is stamped into the blade. I'll attach a picture.
    it looks to me as though Maberly was stamped as a word not individual letters so it would tend to indicate that there should be more than a handful of axes out there.
    Regards, David.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maberly

Hi,

Thought I'd give it a refresh.

Does anyone have any edge weapon or firearm marked with the name Maberly?
    I have a record of a John Maberly listed as a supplier to the British Ordnance but if this was correct there should be a lot more equipment marked by him.

Regards,
    David.

John Maberly 1770-1839 British businessman and MP, sold only clothing and uniforms to the army, has his own wiki page and several other references, but no metal bashing I can find!

Hi Ben,

Yes that's who I have and his son William, who also had a connection with the ordnance board. The coincidence is strong because of the direct connection but I struggle to explain the stamps on the boarding axes. It will probably remain a mystery!

Regards, David.