Thread: 1845 Patent Hilt Infantry Officer's Sword - 1890, Wilkinson

1845 Patent Hilt Infantry Officer's Sword - 1890, Wilkinson

Hi all, just back from the local gun show and I'me very happy to add this magnificent Wilkinson's Patent hilt infantry officer's sword to my collection. I focus on 1822 - 1898 Infantry Officer's sword's and this swords is a great fit for me. The sword number is 30076, the blade having an armorial effigy of a Rabbit holding a flower and the initials are CBW . The hilt is a coppery colour which looks fantastic compared to the brass scabbard. According to Matt Easton's great article, this sword's number dates to 1890 and may have seen Boer War service. Although a battle blade, it appears to not have been sharpened, the blade and sword are pretty close to mint. I look forward to finding out more about its original owner.

Cheers,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Greg Nehring; 08-12-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Hi Greg,

Beautiful sword.I love the solid hilt examples. Is that a Percy style blade?

It's unlikely to have been used by a serving officer beyond 1895 when the hilt pattern changed so probably no boer war service.

I've seen few Wilkinson 1822p hilts that are as late but I note that it has no supporting bars in the solid guard section unlike the earlier swords which have a question mark shaped connecting bar.

I've seen the same construction on a later mole sargeant's sword. Anyone know, Is there an accepted date when the connecting bar disappear at Wilkinsons?

Look forward to hearing more about the officer.

Regards
    Last edited by james.elstob; 08-13-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Outstanding.

Hi James, I have to admit I do not know what a Percy style blade is. What does one look like? I have attached a few more images of the entire sword.

Greg

Hmm, on second thoughts I think I was mixed up about that.

There's is a thread on this forum with a cross-sectional diagram of different blade profiles but I can't seem to find it right now.

Here is a another thread about different blade shapes though if you're interested.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...on-Blade-Types

There are several officers with those initials in the army lists of the period in question, but I can't find any of them having such a rabbit/hare/coney as a family emblem.

Made in 1890 and has a brass field officers scabbard. So Maj. or above rank and not re hilted to 1897p. This is most likely not the officers first sword upon commission but a sword purchased when he became a major.
    Do you have the Wilkinson blade proof page? Should have his name recorded with the swords particulars.

Hi Will, I have nothing as of yet. The "blade proof page", it this the info you receive via armsresearch.co.uk? I haven't ordered this info yet, apparently the form has to be sent via the post so it will take some time.

Greg

Nah, you can send Richard an email and attach the form accordingly. Last time I did it, payment via credit card was accepted, so feel free to bypass Canada Post.

I've just sent an email with the serial number and in a couple days Richard will email you a photo of the page and his cover letter explaining the page.
    As Mark recommends just use a c/c for payment. Once on file you can send more serial numbers.

Thank God! They take FOREVER!.

BTW, thanks to L. Braden for taking a look at the lists, James for allowing me to learn a bit more about Wilkinson blade types and Will as well.

Greg

That is a really nice sword. I almost never see British officers swords at any of the local gun shows around here so to score a Wilkinson patent hilt is an excellent find. It looks like the etching is restricted to just the heraldic crest and the Wilkinson address? Hopefully the proof page has the purchasers name.
    I recently mailed off a request to Richard Milner and it only took 4 days to get a reply, so not exactly slow, but email is much faster.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeShowers; 08-13-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Greg what are the blade measurements? Width and thickness at ricasso and length. The blade has an unstopped fuller and appears to be at least 1 1/4" wide at the ricasso if not more.

Hi Will thanks for reaching out to Richard on my behalf, I was just about to ask the Forum for his email! Re my sword, the dimensions are: Width at ricasso: 1 1/4 in., Thickness at ricasso 6/16th of an in., length of blade is 33 in.

Greg

Family Crest Help for 1892 Wilkinson Infantry Officers Sword

Hi all, looks like I need the help of the British heraldry aficionados as Richard has only been able to confirm the following note;" Pat. Tang – Infantry – 1 June 1890." Can any Forum readers help me with finding a British family crest having a Hare/Rabbit holding a flower? The initials appear to be C B W of permutations there of.

Greg

Got it! It's a demi-coney holding a pansy flower. And the last name is...….Coney! William Bicknell Coney, Major in the Sherwood Foresters Feb 14, 1890. It seems so obvious now after hours of searching demi-hares and demi-squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShowers View Post
    Got it! It's a demi-coney holding a pansy flower. And the last name is...….Coney! William Bicknell Coney, Major in the Sherwood Foresters Feb 14, 1890. It seems so obvious now after hours of searching demi-hares and demi-squirrels.
    Good work! And further confirmation that treating yourself to a new sword when appointed to field rank was not uncommon!
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

WOW! What a fantastic post! Thank you so much Mike for doing the search for me! This may be the subject for a new post, how do you do these searches? Is there a web-based search engine or you rely on books etc?

Thank you so much,

Greg

His Service Record

Thanks Jordan for the documents! A big shout out to you and Kevin Joynt, a friend on FB who was able to provide additional details of William Bicknell Coney. He was Christened 25 Feb 1857 at Salcombe, Regis, Devon. His parents were William John and Mary Anne Coney. He married Laetitia Anne Addington on 7 January 1880 at Exeter, Devon. Lieutenant 11 February 1875, Capt. 1 April 1882 and Major 14 February 1890. He was still living at the time of the 1911 Census and he is listed as Retired Major, Half Pay.

It appears he bought this sword on promotion to Major.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nehring View Post
    WOW! What a fantastic post! Thank you so much Mike for doing the search for me! This may be the subject for a new post, how do you do these searches? Is there a web-based search engine or you rely on books etc?

Thank you so much,

Greg
    You're welcome. It's lots of fun trying to solve these little mysteries. Looks like you're off to a good start on his career.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Salcombe Regis is a little village on the coast a few miles from where I live. Only a few houses but a very pretty parish church, parts of which date back to the 12th Century. Coney's father (William John Coney) was a vicar, but I don't know whether he was vicar of Salcombe Regis or not. He died in 1861. Coney junior seems to have retired to Dorset (the next door county to Devon), to a village called Winterbourne St Martin. He's still there on the 1915 electoral roll, which is the latest I could find on Ancestry.

Hope that helps,

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".