Technical Info:
    Oakeshott Classification - XIIa
    Overall Length – 42.5 inches
    Blade Length – 33 inches
    Weight – 3.3lbs
    POB – 5 inches from the Guard
    COP – 22 inches from the Guard

Blade is martensite champalloy crucible L6 carbon steel

Guard is bronze, Handle is desert ironwood, and the Hilt is dismountable.

Pommel is bronze and hollow. The raised pommel disc is nickel silver, with an inlaid bronze cross on both sides.

The Scabbard is wood, lined with red felt and covered in fine black calf leather.

My Impressions:
    One word: Authoritative.

3.3lbs is quite a decent chunk of sword. But I am utterly convinced weight is simply not a singularly important factor of sword design. My Del Tin 2121 (type XII) is not much shorter than this sword, and is 6oz lighter. Yet the Cashen is, to be frank, on a completely different level. The sword tracks wonderfully, is fast in one hand and lightning in two. The most surprising handling aspect was how well it thrusts: it seems Kevin has got the balance between cut & thrust almost perfect for this sword type.
    The finish is absolutely perfect: not a single grind mark, or any mark, and the whole things fits together as solid as a rock. The lines are all perfectly symmetrical.

I have done a bit of cutting with the sword, mainly on plastic milk bottles. One isn’t even felt. I managed to cleanly cut 6 from eight lined up in one stroke!

The scabbard is very solid and aesthetically pleasing. Probably not as nice as Peter Johnsson’s, in my opinion, but Kevin includes it with the sword at no extra cost! A scabbard like this could easily go for $200 or so, maybe even more. Kevin also accepts no money up front, meaning you won’t get ripped off if he falls behind. His prices are absolutely wonderful.

Dealing with Kevin was a pleasure. He was quite late, but as any regular visitor to SFI will know, that was way beyond his control. Despite his extreme situation, Kevin never once failed to respond to an email, something a lot of smiths may do well to learn.
    I must confess, I am probably somewhat of a painful customer. I like talking to smiths about a design, and swords in general. Kevin handled this well, and so I applaud and thank him for it.

I think this sword has spoiled me somewhat. Once you have a custom sword, the flaws in others become very apparent. I would suggest every sword collector get at least one custom sword. Even if it’s above your budget, you can still save for it. Most smiths would be happy to work something out and help you figure out a saving plan or something similar. I’ve got a sword from one of the sword Gods, next up is a Xa.1 replica from PJ, then an English Civil War Backsword from VE. Then my collection will be complete.

I’ll conclude with what Peter Johnsson had to say about Kevin and my sword (I asked permission to post PJ’s opinion of course):
    Kevin Cashen is a very talented and skilled maker. I respect his work very
    much. The sword you received is a good example that "historically correct" is
    not the only, or perhaps not even the best way to describe quality in a
    sword. From the photos it is obvious that this is a very well made weapon. It
    has a strong character very much its own. You can see that the maker has
    been dedicated to his work. The design is well balanced in detail and
    overall execution. Kevin is a well established professional that is
    friendly, humble and generous with information. Someone to be inspired by
    and learn from.
    I congratulate you to this excellent piece.

That about sums it up!
    If anyone has any questions at all, please ask.

Last edited by Taylor Ellis; 05-03-2002 at 09:21 AM.

Pinned down and surrounded on the "Left Coast"
    Taylor:

I've come to associate Kevin Cashen with exceptional work. Where is located, and, I just have to know, how much was that magnificent Type XIIa?

My gosh that is gorgeous.

Thanks.

Don

Sweet!

That is a wonderful piece and really shows off the smith's and the architect's vision.

Speaking of questions, how much of the design was yours vs. KC's? Or is that a question that even makes sense? DO you feel responsible for the design at all, Taylor?

What I want to know is, since KC can make swords so well, what about his custom beers?

GRAVIOR ABYSSO ACUTIOR CAELO

Re: Sweet!

Originally posted by John McKelvy
    That is a wonderful piece and really shows off the smith's and the architect's vision.

Speaking of questions, how much of the design was yours vs. KC's? Or is that a question that even makes sense? DO you feel responsible for the design at all, Taylor?

What I want to know is, since KC can make swords so well, what about his custom beers?
    The initial design was mine, but Kevin modified it to make it better performing. I'd say it was about 70% mine.

Thumbs up Wow!!

Hey Taylor,

She sure is a beauty, nice, broad blade too. Its almost like I can feel the quality through the pics.3.3 pounds seems to be a good weight for a sword of that size, and from the pics of you holding her, it looks like the sword is proportioned well for you. What I mean is that it doesn't look too big for you, nor does it look toylike in your hands.

Seeing your new blade makes me want a custom blade, but that's a bit in me future as I will soon have two of Gus's beauties to play with and customise. One will be coming soon, and the other so soon, that I can barely stand it**g**

It looks like Kevin Cashen will go into consideration along with Peter Johnsson for my custom sword project, hehe. Probably a type XIIa or XIIIa longsword, lightly embelished, perhaps my family's coat of arms or a simple maltese cross on the wheel pommel, then again there is a family heirloom coin that would look nice set in the pommel too....

Gotta stop torturing myself, that's still a couple of years away, very nice sword Taylor/me turns green w/envy

Bob
    Member of the DC Duelling Club

Longsword, Rapier, and Messer, okay, mostly longsword, ok ok, mostly just three guys that like to dress funny and beat the crap outta one another.

"The individual is of the first importance, not the system."-Bruce Lee

When threatened with mob violence, get ahold of Bob Violence!.....American Flagg

Thumbs up

Hey Taylor,

Wow!! she is a beauty indeed, I can feel the quality coming through the pics. Nice broad blade, and 3.3 pounds seems about right for a sword of this size, and she is well proportioned for you to boot. She neither looks hulkish nor toylike in your hands.

Makes me want a custom blade to tell you the truth, but that is a ways off for me now, gotta start saving, but then there are still quite a few blades that I want to get from Gus and A&A before I can even start thinking about anything from Kevin Cashen or Peter Johnsson

Very nice Taylor, and I hope that you two are happy together

Bob
    Member of the DC Duelling Club

Longsword, Rapier, and Messer, okay, mostly longsword, ok ok, mostly just three guys that like to dress funny and beat the crap outta one another.

"The individual is of the first importance, not the system."-Bruce Lee

When threatened with mob violence, get ahold of Bob Violence!.....American Flagg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bob, you might be suprised how easy ordering a custom can be. Kevin's waiting time is almost 2 years now I think, and he doesn't take deposits. If you opened a bank account, and put $15 into it per week, you should have enough for a sword like mine. Very easy.

Originally posted by Robert Busch
    Hey Taylor,

Wow!! she is a beauty indeed, I can feel the quality coming through the pics. Nice broad blade, and 3.3 pounds seems about right for a sword of this size, and she is well proportioned for you to boot. She neither looks hulkish nor toylike in your hands.

Makes me want a custom blade to tell you the truth, but that is a ways off for me now, gotta start saving, but then there are still quite a few blades that I want to get from Gus and A&A before I can even start thinking about anything from Kevin Cashen or Peter Johnsson

Very nice Taylor, and I hope that you two are happy together

Bob

8. grat pics taylor!!! the lighting on those tops ones are great! you must have followed those picture taking directions on sword forum university.