Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a bladesmith; secrets revealed! (Finished Pictures added)

Kevin Cashen, you are an impressive man.

That deserved a line by itself. I tip my hat to your skill. You've beggared my best sword with this peice, but I love you for it anyway; it is good to have craftsmen like you doing this kind of work.

Perhaps a time will come when I might talk with you and ask you to create something. To be honest, however, there are many things that I would have to have to feel that I require the luxury of such a finely wrought tool.

Best Regards,

John
    The Brotherhood of the Gauntlet
    "Ultima Ratio Regem"
    http://www.brotherhoodofthegauntlet.org/index.html

Stunned!

Kevin,
    This will be my first post to this forum. I came to be here out of many hours of researching Katana's, blades, smithing, and steels. Over and over again this site w/ an article would come up in a search.
    And this thread answered more questions in 3 hours of reading, and rereading than the last 6 weeks combined.
    I can only thank you for the time you invested in teaching a novice many answers to questions long poised.
    Unfortunatly for you, for as many as you answered for me, two replaced them!

Kevin,
    Thanks for sharing the entire smithing process for this masterpiece with us. A truly amazing blade.
    I have a recurve Bowie on order with you for sometime in '07

Thumbs up

All hail Kevin!

Mississippi, It's like a whole 'nother third world country.
    Originally posted by Jeff Ellis

buddy? BOB! Bob is always a fitting name... works for anything...

or maybe big bad? hmmm
    "Bob" =)

Bob

Amazing

Kevin.
    Well I hate to just chime in with nothing new to say, but... Your efforts at educating the general public on your sword making techniques is by far and away the most wonderful information source I have seen.
    Thanks for providing me with this oppurtunity to see into your world. The sword is beautiful and you are a true artist.

Bob Brennan
    havoc@sith.zzn.com

Wow. Dennis and Kevin, that sword is really something incredible. Seriously. I can't find any other words for it. Incredible.
    Geoffrey C. Freeman

Question Where do I start?

I have been interested in swords for about two years and really haven't gotten anywhere with this newfound interest. But, I am very interested in swordsmithing, where can I learn this skill?

I have been interested in swords for about two years and really haven't gotten anywhere with this newfound interest. But, I am very interested in swordsmithing, where can I learn this skill?

Check the link in my signature.

Compiled PDF

Kevin,

I have compiled all of your posts into one giant PDF file, organized into chapters. If you care to take a look:

Link (requires Adobe Acrobat)

I hope that this is ok with you. I included my name/e-mail in it as the formatter so that if there were any issues, people could contact me. If this isn't ok, go ahead and edit my post (whomever) and take the link out (I don't get around these forums as often as I should).

EXCELLENT tutorial, just perfect. Best resource I have found on the web for sure! Nice work.

Wow... Great work. Thanks a lot Hexy!

JD

whoa! Hesy nice connection speed, i got around 250k/ps! What are you on? (i'm on a t1 here) :P And great job on the PDF!
    Don't knock on Death's door...Ring the door bell and run, she hates that!

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil!
    (Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh!).:Clan cameron war cry

"No human alive is powerful enough to own anything. we are but borrowers. Swords are eternal, humans are temporary. We simply watch over them for a short while..."-David Stokes

Vacca foeda

Hey, thanks, its off my old college account's connection. I know they just upgraded, I think its an OC12 connection or something.

WHOA!!! Man, Georgia Tech only has an OC3! Damn!
    Don't knock on Death's door...Ring the door bell and run, she hates that!

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil!
    (Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh!).:Clan cameron war cry

"No human alive is powerful enough to own anything. we are but borrowers. Swords are eternal, humans are temporary. We simply watch over them for a short while..."-David Stokes

Vacca foeda

Holy monkey arms!!!! What a beautiful sword!!!

I love how you worked the scabbord.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to put a hamon or hada on a non-japanese sword combined with something like this?

That would be interesting....but you would also have to work out a way to do clay-temporing as well.

I, too, shall utter my reverence here for your great great work, Kevin.
    The picture of this Viking Dagger on page 2 or 3 just blew me away. I daresay it is the most beautiful piece of blade-art I have seen as of yet.

I should like very much to have a sword made by you, alas I do not have the funds. Maybe, in a couple of years, I might be able to afford a dagger of yours.

And mind you: I usually regard a blade of any kind as a tool. Sharp swords for cutting, blunt swords for fighting. I generally see no reason to pay more money than necessary for a tool. But if I could afford it, I'd ask you.

Kind regards,
    Melchior

between actually doing something and sleeping on my feet
    wow... didn't see that coming. Nope never would have quessed that was how its done.

between actually doing something and sleeping on my feet
    You rule dude. That is one fine --- blade.

Lightbulb Keep it up

You should make your own web page with the pictures following each other allong with the instructions. You cannot only stop there but you can also add pictures on how to make a normal blade also. This would probably be invaluable to some begginer blade smiths. And keep up the fantastic work (you can make allot of money selling them)

Might I Ask?

Might I Ask? (and perhaps I missed it)

But was a name given to the sword as of yet?

Also, I was unable to download the PDF. Does anyone else have it available for downloading? Emailing? Etc?

Mr. Cashen, I would like to thank you one more time for creating what is probably one of the greatest wealths and treasures available to the general public with regards to sword smithing.

May God bless your hands mightily that they would never tire and continue for many years to come in fashioning such works of beauty!

Sincerely,
    Jason "theSaj"

Just wanted to tip my hat. I had been lingering around here for about 6 months but this thread is why I registered.

Just wanted to tip my hat. I had been lingering around here for about 6 months but this thread is why I registered.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast