Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a bladesmith; secrets revealed! (Finished Pictures added)

The Thread is great.

Honestly Kevin, the thread is the best that I've read, and i check my email every night to see if you have posted some more. I've been wanting to get into bladesmithing for some time, and you have given me a rare insiders perspective. So by all mean, keep it up, anymore knowledge that you will impart, i'll gladly eat up. Thanks.
    Let your actions speak for you

Very very interesting reading!

I just finished reading the whole thread, and all I can say is WoW. Great work Kevin, I can't wait to see what the finished blade looks like. When I saw the dagger that you did my brain did sort of a mental flip, and all I could think was "Oh. My. Gawd." It's also really cool being able to learn about the whole forging process...

Best and eagerly waiting for more good reading,
    Michael
    No hope for the wicked... remember: Fallen knights fight dirty.

Thumbs up so interesting.......

this thread is awesome, i've learnt so much from this and it actually has helped quite a bit with questions i had in making pattern welded blades....keep it coming were all itching for more.

Kevin; I think those coveralls look cute on you. There's nothing like seeing a bladesmith doing so well as to afford nice new coveralls. A great tutorial. When a man is running with the ball, hell; let him go. you are helping a lot of folks here. You don't need somebody to break the flow. Everybody should put it on file and read it occasionally. You are doing a good thing. Though in closing I have just one word for the coveralls" large black bear". Mike
    " I never dreamed they wouldn't do something stupid"

Well Kevin, grinding really IS that boring (at least I think so). I'm with you on the glove issue as well. A couple of the worst mishaps I ever had were caused by gloves too, though I have not lost any parts (and with the grace of God won't).

This is a great instructional thread, I second the idea to turn it into an article, Adrian.

BTW, Adrian, what ever did you do with the pattern welded shobu zukuri blade ?
    It is not the destination, it is the journey.

With Kevin’s permission this thread will be re-formatted and added to the SFI information base. Out new content management software will make it much easier to add to and access the information base.

Re: Re: Is grinding that boring?

Originally posted by Dave Booth
    Dont mistake the awed silence of a respectful listener for indifference.
    Yeah, what he said. I figure the folks that are learning how to be smiths will ask better questions in better ways than I could.
    I love this thread. Thank you, Kevin.
    Örn Doomslayer a.k.a. Þorfinn , the one we don't let steer, Commander of the Twin Tiers

Re: Is grinding that boring?

Originally posted by Kevin R. Cashen
    I know it is not as exciting as hot forge fires and sparks flying off hammered steel, but I seem to be the only one talking here. Hello?
    How many hours did it take to grind that blade, looks like a real beauty by the way. Can't wait to see it finished
    "Now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall live and die at my post.
    I am the sword in the darkness, the watcher on the walls.
    I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the nights watch and all the nights to come."
    - the oath of the Night's Watch from "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

my homepage

Originally posted by Dennis Boas
    With Kevin’s permission this thread will be re-formatted and added to the SFI information base. Out new content management software will make it much easier to add to and access the information base.
    Do whatever you think is best Dennis. Have you done anything to preserve the images yet? Which ones are backed up? I fear cashenblades.com may be getting full now and I will probably do some purging when I return.

Re: Re: Is grinding that boring?

Originally posted by Leif Svendsen

How many hours did it take to grind that blade, looks like a real beauty by the way. Can't wait to see it finished
    I didn't keep close track of this one but I know that it took a little longer than it normally would because of the delicate shaping near the ricasso area. I spent an afternoon messing with it between the grinders some files and some stones.

I will get all the images backed up before you get back and thanks for allowing us to preserve and make this great information available.

Do whatever you think is best Dennis. Have you done anything to preserve the images yet? Which ones are backed up? I fear cashenblades.com may be getting full now and I will probably do some purging when I return.

Originally posted by M. Williams
    Kevin; I think those coveralls look cute on you. There's nothing like seeing a bladesmith doing so well as to afford nice new coveralls. A great tutorial. When a man is running with the ball, hell; let him go. you are helping a lot of folks here. You don't need somebody to break the flow. Everybody should put it on file and read it occasionally. You are doing a good thing. Though in closing I have just one word for the coveralls" large black bear". Mike
    The coveralls were on sale at Walmart, right before I went winter camping in Wisconsin a couple week back. They looked warm so I kind of had to get them. It is also handy because I can leave whatever slob clothes on that I put on in the mornings and not worry about burning them up in the forge just pull the coveralls over them. My finances were strained enough from the overalls but yesterday I had my fuel oil tank filled for the shop furnace That tank ate up $417 to fill
    It will be cheaper buffets for the next two weeks for me! Wait a minute, I will be staying in Hope, what else is there?

I have tried every kind of fire resistant cloth and welding shirts going and the best for protecting against flying borax that I have found are the brown Carhardts. They are damned near indestructible (until you get a fray ) the roughest thing you can do to them is wash them. They are almost bullet proof but my wifes washing machine will tear them up!
    Last edited by Kevin R. Cashen; 02-08-2003 at 12:54 AM.

Smile

Hi Kevin,
    Great looking blade and an excellent thread. I prefer my leather apron to cloth. I have singed and burned more then I really like to admit. So, its leather all over for me. Keep up the great work. Im learning still.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Originally posted by Arik Estus
    Hi Kevin,
    Great looking blade and an excellent thread. I prefer my leather apron to cloth. I have singed and burned more then I really like to admit. So, its leather all over for me. Keep up the great work. Im learning still.
    Leather does work good in the forging side, but I find it just too bulky to work in. Now I have burned up leather in front of the grinder. That is a drawback to the way that I grind, if you look at where the grinder throws the sparks you will see that they all fall right at my belt line. I have burned holes right through leather at this spot but, believe it or not, Carhardts take it quite well. Ecxept for the stitching! IF they could use the same material for the stitching or use a nomex thread I would be set. The cloth holds up but all the seams separate in that area

If I was better at the forming, I'd add a thin (.016")6Al4V plate to my leather apron that functioned like a breastplate in armor, just to resist the hot spark stream. Maybe someday I'll find somebody who can do that for me that wants to trade for a blade or something

I have the same trouble with coveralls too, the seams give up.
    You have done a great job with this htread Kevin, I salute you, Sir !
    It is not the destination, it is the journey.

Angus Trim is offline Moderator
    Sword Fabricator
    SFI Honorary Educational Advisor
    For my grinding these days I use a welder's leather jacket and leather chaps. I've burned holes in everything else, including the best coveralls I could find.......

I've been useing the jacket over chaps for 8 mos now, and still going strong. Gets a little hot in the summer though......

Originally posted by Howard Clark
    If I was better at the forming, I'd add a thin (.016")6Al4V plate to my leather apron that functioned like a breastplate in armor, just to resist the hot spark stream.
    Maybe you could rivet some of that stainless foil on your apron....

JD

Originally posted by Howard Clark
    If I was better at the forming, I'd add a thin (.016")6Al4V plate to my leather apron that functioned like a breastplate in armor, just to resist the hot spark stream. Maybe someday I'll find somebody who can do that for me that wants to trade for a blade or something

I have the same trouble with coveralls too, the seams give up.
    You have done a great job with this htread Kevin, I salute you, Sir !
    you could get a thick piece of leather and add it. i made a nice breastplate (not armor grade tho) out of some 6 or 7 ounce leather. it looks nice, and was easy enough.. i'll have to take a picture someday...
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Shoe Goop

At Wallmart. Just glue a leather belly band on your overalls or shop aprons. Ive done it for yrs, on the seat inseams and knees, to keep the iron from wearing out my Carharts prematurely. You can also just brush it onto the seams to keep the sparks off of the threads on boots or clothes. Joe
    Long Life

over water, under hill, back woods, New Brunswick, Canada
    I just picked this thread up yesterday, And i'd just like to say thank you Kevin this is a n excellent lesson in the basics of compsit pattern welding. It's perfect timing for me because i have been exprimenting with it this winter and I was just getting ready to do my first sword legth billet. Once i read this I changed a few things that would have taken allot of greaf to learn on my own. I'll post some images of the blade once it's done. we are very lucky to have smiths that are willing to sacrifice the kind of time and thought it takes to put together a thread like this.
    your the man

Kevin, i just read your post on grinding, and i want to say you not alone! I grind the very same way, and my shop teacher hates me for it, he's always yelling at me that the blade will jump out of my hands. Oh well, i get better results that way.
    Don't knock on Death's door...Ring the door bell and run, she hates that!

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil!
    (Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh!).:Clan cameron war cry

"No human alive is powerful enough to own anything. we are but borrowers. Swords are eternal, humans are temporary. We simply watch over them for a short while..."-David Stokes

Vacca foeda

Leather does work good in the forging side, but I find it just too bulky to work in. Now I have burned up leather in front of the grinder. That is a drawback to the way that I grind, if you look at where the grinder throws the sparks you will see that they all fall right at my belt line. I have burned holes right through leather at this spot but, believe it or not, Carhardts take it quite well. Ecxept for the stitching! IF they could use the same material for the stitching or use a nomex thread I would be set. The cloth holds up but all the seams separate in that area

heres a question.. where could i get plans to make a belt grinder? and waht belt grit is best for bladwork? i was playing with my jerry rigged belt sander tonight and i got a rather pleasing finis on the kissaki part of a blade i'm trying to make. its not a finish really, but its where i finished for the night anyways, i turned it vertically, and ran that along the edge i was working on.

but yea, i'm still learning. and i have a feeling this sander i got wont be enough... maybe for finishing, but not roughing...
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

just a dab...

...will do ya! Making this sticky so Kevin can find it when he returns.
    Euthenist, Exorcist, Utilitarianist

thank you

This is very educational; thank you for taking your time to share all this; as a newbee to sword making; it really gives me a better idea as to the making of such a blade. It is not all glamorous; but your blades surely are; I remember playing in my Dad's blacksmith shop and it was always nasty and fun; but his was a coal fired forge; is it possible to get fine results with coal as opposed to gas???

Thanks Again;

Dana

Re: thank you

The result isn't all the much diferent, just the procces and amount of time.

Originally posted by Dana Reynolds
    This is very educational; thank you for taking your time to share all this; as a newbee to sword making; it really gives me a better idea as to the making of such a blade. It is not all glamorous; but your blades surely are; I remember playing in my Dad's blacksmith shop and it was always nasty and fun; but his was a coal fired forge; is it possible to get fine results with coal as opposed to gas???

Thanks Again;

Dana
    Don't knock on Death's door...Ring the door bell and run, she hates that!

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil!
    (Sons of the hounds, come here and get flesh!).:Clan cameron war cry

"No human alive is powerful enough to own anything. we are but borrowers. Swords are eternal, humans are temporary. We simply watch over them for a short while..."-David Stokes

Vacca foeda

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast