Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFTIS at it again.

EFTIS at it again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&category=355

This sucker looks the spitting image, down to the tang holes, of something I've seen before from Avar period... but it sure ain't celtic...
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but excellence admires and respects genius.

Re: EFTIS at it again.

Originally posted by Russ Mitchell
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&category=355

This sucker looks the spitting image, down to the tang holes, of something I've seen before from Avar period... but it sure ain't celtic...
    I see there's no reserve this time around - what does that tell us?

Richard.
    Celeriter nil crede

I agree with Russ - I've seen a couple of examples like this from Magyar/Avar contexts (8/9thC). Having said that, there are similar sabres from the Caucasus I think.

Matt

Yes.

Originally posted by Matt Easton
    I agree with Russ - I've seen a couple of examples like this from Magyar/Avar contexts (8/9thC). Having said that, there are similar sabres from the Caucasus I think.
    Matt
    Yes, you have to remember how cosmopolitan that world was with the great kaganates and their interaction with Persia, etc etc...

I'm tempted to actually big on this thing, lord save me, just so I can see what kind of modern cavalry sabre it was made from...
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but excellence admires and respects genius.

Brooklyn ( Yo Tony! ) and Europe during summers

LOL!

"The design of this ancient weapon is remarkably advanced."

By any chance is this a certain buyer who I've seen countless times before selling fake ancient artifacts and the occasional "ancient" blade. Last time I noticed him it was a copper sword.

Justin
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood." - Count Otto von Bismarck
    War is nothing more than the continuation of politics by other means. - von Clausewitz

Just a note to let everyone know that, because I hate to see people ripped off, I emailed the high bidder for this sword and suggested he might want to take a look at this post on the SF. That was it, nothing more. However, the high bidder contacted Eftis who in turn reported me to ebay. I then had an email from ebay reprimanding me for interfering in a sale. My own fault I suppose and a mistake I will not repeat in the future.

Richard.
    Celeriter nil crede

Originally posted by Richard Dellar
    Just a note to let everyone know that, because I hate to see people ripped off, I emailed the high bidder for this sword and suggested he might want to take a look at this post on the SF. That was it, nothing more. However, the high bidder contacted Eftis who in turn reported me to ebay. I then had an email from ebay reprimanding me for interfering in a sale. My own fault I suppose and a mistake I will not repeat in the future.

Richard.

Honour, Pride and Satisfaction fall victim to the dollar (or Euro)

Jeff

Richard.
    Richard,

I guess the old standing of caveat emptor is alive and well on ebay.

Andre

Re: Re: EFTIS at it again.

I see there's no reserve this time around - what does that tell us?

Richard.

Uggghhhhh. It sold for $770.00.

Andre

Ancient Greek wisdom

Aristotle, that great philosopher and scientist, once said that:

"Merchants and entrepeneurs should not be allowed into citizenship, because their lifestyle is wretched
    and the opposite of virtue".

OK, maybe it is too hard a statement for all merchants, but eBay and some of its sellers are seriously qualifying to it... All the shame to them!
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

If you get a couple of those cheap Cossak Shaquas (Shiskas?) and bury them in the ground in western washington for a few weeks. Yeah, I could make a fortune.
    MAkes you wonder.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Sorry to sound cold but anyone gullible enough to buy anything from certain dealers on e-bay deserve what they get. I'm not standing up for the unprincipled sales BS you see a lot from those certain dealers. Just that anyone buying anything online from anyone has got to do their homework and that still won't assure you that everything will be as you expect.

Everyone here will tell you that authenticating and appraising a sword on the weight of a few photos is certainly risky if not just damn near impossible. How anyone bids on an "ancient sword" and expects to get a great deal based solely on the information available on e-bay is beyond me.

Of course you do get a "certificate of authenticity" with your purchase. Bless you Mr. Eftis. Yes, that certainly makes all the difference doesn't it?
    Respectfuly, your faithful servant,

Robert Quigley

Blog Entries

Richard.
    Richard,

You are to be saluted for your gentlemanly conduct. Unfortunately, eBay's policies will continue to force people to remain victims of their own stupidity.

Mark
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Mark McMorrow

Richard,

You are to be saluted for your gentlemanly conduct. Unfortunately, eBay's policies will continue to force people to remain victims of their own stupidity.

Mark
    I notice Mr P. has begun to sell using eBay's "Private Auction" feature - to prevent well-intentioned people contacting bidders to offer an alternative viewpoint, perhaps?

One of his latest is good, though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...5&category=355

Perfectly ordinary P1897 (no scabbard, OK blade, dead average really). But this one has a "lovely rust patina"! What next: "Beautiful blade pitting", or "attractive worm damage"???

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Originally posted by John Hart

I notice Mr P. has begun to sell using eBay's "Private Auction" feature - to prevent well-intentioned people contacting bidders to offer an alternative viewpoint, perhaps?

Perfectly ordinary P1897 (no scabbard, OK blade, dead average really). But this one has a "lovely rust patina"! What next: "Beautiful blade pitting", or "attractive worm damage"???

John
    John,

He gives the reasons for using the "Private Auction" feature at the bottom of the new item you have given the link to - I assume that I am chief among the "unscrupulous individuals" who indulge in malicious behaviour.

Anyway, for those interested, here is some more malicious behaviour on my part concerning our scrupulous friend:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2381027.stm

http://www.gmc-uk.org/probdocs/decis...3_01_21-25.htm

Richard.
    Celeriter nil crede

John,

He gives the reasons for using the "Private Auction" feature at the bottom of the new item you have given the link to - I assume that I am chief among the "unscrupulous individuals" who indulge in malicious behaviour.

Anyway, for those interested, here is some more malicious behaviour on my part concerning our scrupulous friend:

Richard.
    I hope he can make the difference between a scalpel and a P1796 Heavy cavalry sword

John,

Richard.

My, my, my. Richard you have been a bad boy. I don't typically look at his auctions, but I did notice that his boilerplate addendum at the bottom states that the ancient artifact market is flooded with fakes which often look better than the original items.

Andre

Originally posted by Jean Binck

I hope he can make the difference between a scalpel and a P1796 Heavy cavalry sword
    Evidently not!

Originally posted by John Hart

John

John,

I guess we could describe this sword as a common item in extraordinary poor condition made uncommon by a creative imagination. At least the price is low.

Andre

Hahaha......

(We apologise to our fellow eBayers for having to list a "private" auction. This is a direct consequence of the malicious behaviour of a handful of unscrupulous individuals).

Uh oh we're unscrupulous individuals doesnt that make us all feel terrible? Is there any way to get this guy banned from ebay or warned for selling fake items like it says in the ebay rules. I believe people have already tried that against the fake katana people with no reply from ebay.

Justin
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood." - Count Otto von Bismarck
    War is nothing more than the continuation of politics by other means. - von Clausewitz

If........

If any of us are willing to get some screen names together and attempt to sabotage this guys auctions then you could try that but it may be a little risky with ebay rules and such. But if the item is fake and they didnt say it then arent you able to refuse payment so you just bid wait till last day and say "This item is fake and we can prove it". Also Im not sure about English law but in the US false advirtisement is a crime.

Justin

It's not the edge of the world, but I can see it from here...
    Careful there. You're treading into questionable waters. SFI is all fine and dandy as a venue for expressing knowledge. To become the gathering ground of intellectual vigilantism, that is another story...

No one learns from the "point of a gun", and certainly not from examples set by actions driven with malice—even if one sees the malice as just.

Let the stupid waste their money on un-researched and questionable crap. The more money they spend on that, the less money they have to spend on girlfriends and dates, thus lessening the probabilities of successful procreation, thus removing those folks from the gene pool. The great cycle of life will survive...
    Last edited by T.L. Johnson; 05-01-2003 at 12:20 PM.

Good point......

Good point and I dont really have much against profitting from ignorance but this guy has made over 10,000 USD and makes Ebay a dangerous place to shop for swords.

Justin

Re: Good point......

Originally posted by J. Rubeus
    Good point and I dont really have much against profitting from ignorance but this guy has made over 10,000 USD and makes Ebay a dangerous place to shop for swords.

Justin

Ebay, like any other internet site, is a dangerous place to shop for swords for the uninformed. The same unscrupulous fellows (to borrow our friend's term) that frequent militaria shows to slough off their counterfeit wares on an unsuspecting public have taken root on the internet. However, not all internet merchants or ebay sellers are bad. I collect British swords which, were I live, are not exactly common items. 99% of my purchases have come over the internet (a few over ebay although I tend to sell more by that venue than purchase). I have found reputable dealers to purchase from who have return policies. I have also found a few folks who sell on ebay (some who post on this board) to purchase from. Of all of my transactions, I have only received two swords which I have had to return and have been able to do so without a problem. It is true that internet transactions (for any type of collecting) are risky. However, by virtue of the internet, a whole new marketplace is opened.

Re: Re: Good point......

Originally posted by A.Ducote

Ebay, like any other internet site, is a dangerous place to shop for swords for the uninformed. The same unscrupulous fellows (to borrow our friend's term) that frequent militaria shows to slough off their counterfeit wares on an unsuspecting public have taken root on the internet. However, not all internet merchants or ebay sellers are bad. I collect British swords which, were I live, are not exactly common items. 99% of my purchases have come over the internet (a few over ebay although I tend to sell more by that venue than purchase). I have found reputable dealers to purchase from who have return policies. I have also found a few folks who sell on ebay (some who post on this board) to purchase from. Of all of my transactions, I have only received two swords which I have had to return and have been able to do so without a problem. It is true that internet transactions (for any type of collecting) are risky. However, by virtue of the internet, a whole new marketplace is opened.
    Excellent points, Andre. I for one have found eBay a great place both to buy and sell - as with any new technology or marketplace, you need to browse before you buy, take your time to understand the "rules" (I mean the unwritten ones rather than the eBay policies), start small and get a feel for the market.

The first two swords I sold on eBay had both been hanging around in an antique shop near where I live, waiting to be sold on commission. After 6 weeks of being told "no-one's really interested in them", I took them back and put them up for auction. Within a week both had sold. These were good, honest swords - troopers' types, nothing out of the ordinary. I was pleased they'd gone to good homes and the buyers were happy too.

When it comes to buying, I've also had some real bargains from eBay - as a private collector, I don't have to worry about any margins to make a profit from on resale, so if I like a sword and win it at the right price, I'm happy. I've only had one "disappointing" purchase, and even then I was able to return the item with no penalty. As with any buyer/seller transaction, you need to assess the quality of the vendor: Has he got good feedback? Does he offer any guarantees? Does the description start with that great get-out clause, "I know nothing about swords, but..."?

eBay just increases the size of the marketplace; it doesn't mean you can forget the usual buyer's caution which you would normally exercise in any street market or arms fair.

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast