Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverse blade katana

Reverse blade katana

Do any of you know anywhere I can get a reverse blade katana (back of blade is sharp).

Thank you,
    Sean
    One may walk on a road and see things seen a thousand times or one can jump in the bushes beside the road and discover wonderous things

Aaaahhhhhh...! Run away! Run away!

[Ahem]

Sorry, Sean...the sakaba sword as such is a fantasy creation, and can't be made by traditional techniques, and are useless for any JSA practice. It has been discussed and debated to death both here and elsewhere and the consensus is that it's a thoroughly impractical concept. If you do a search on 'sakaba' or 'reverse blade' you should find at least some of the threads.

That being said, there is [or was once] a wallhanger replica being made in Japan, and a few people alleged that they found custom smiths that seemed interested in making such a sword, but I can't tell you the details. So far nobody has reported the actual creation or discovery of a working sakaba sword...
    David T Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

One man's enlightenment is another man's bafflement...

there are some swords that are partially back sharpend. Where the cutting edge is all on the correct side, and then it wraps around the tip and onto 1/4 or 1/3 of the back of the blade (next to the tip).

However, nothing like the famous back sharpend katana.

If you like the design there are some rather large Khukuris by Hymilayan imports though, but they are much different than a katana.
    Eric Litton

Originally posted by Eric Litton
    If you like the design there are some rather large Khukuris by Hymilayan imports though, but they are much different than a katana.
    Himalayan Imports also manufactures katana, and they do custom work. You could ask them if they could make such a blade, but I doubt it.
    "O thou most magnanimous Hero! Brave and unutterably Bold Don Quixote de la Mancha! What Language shall I employ to convince Posterity of the Truth of this thy more than human Enterprize! What Praises can be coined, and Elogies invented, that will not be outvied by thy superior Merit, though Hyperbolies were piled on Hyperbolies!"
    -Miguel de Cervantes

it would bend to the side not sharpened so it would also be reverse bent,
    i think

Re: Reverse blade katana

Originally posted by Sean S.
    Do any of you know anywhere I can get a reverse blade katana (back of blade is sharp).

Thank you,
    Sean
    if you are desparate enough, u can try here

but by no mean they are real blades, they are imitations only.

Thumbs down Wrong Forum! ...

As the 'reverse sword' is from an anime series and has nothing to do with Japanese Sword Arts, this is really the wrong forum for this. Please post it in either the general forum or the fantasy sword forum.

Thanks!
    Paul Smith
    "Keep the sharp side and the
    pointy end between you and
    your opponent"

Well, a sakabato would be pretty interesting to forge. An interesting note is Kenshin's sakabato has an iron sheath, just showing that Nobuhiro Watsuki is a good mangaka but not exactly a historical or weapons expert.

Oh, and upon furhter examination from the manga, the tsuka itself is also iron as well! Geez, that sakabato must be pretty damn heavy to carry.
    Last edited by B Carver; 04-25-2003 at 07:45 PM.
    "How was work today? What happened to your hand?"

"Oh, a customer stabbed it with the Dark Sentinel... dumb customers," muttered the Knife man.

"Member of the 'Darth Maul Bisects Himself' Fandom since 2001!"

it sounds like you want to reverse the curvature of the blade....sorry for reiterating what's already been stated. The 'sori', or 'zori', refers to this curvature. Tori-sori, for example means a curvature which is evenly distributed throughout the langth of the blade.
    Uichi-sori refers to a blade with a reversed curvature. the curvature 'leans' towards the edge instead of away. But I've NEVER seen this on a long sword, only on Tanto, and even then only like once or twice. (I can't imaging the awkwardness of swinging a Katana with such a curvature to be honest.....but to each their own)

Reveresd curve blade

Sean, look at Joram and Juan's site www.tilaru.com/index.htm and see if there recurve is what you're after. You may have to get Juan to send a better pic. THe one I handled at Blade Show was a sturdy 5160 bl;ade, with a shobu point curved downward like a yatagan. Very well mounted in fine wood kashrai sp ? worth a look Joe P.S. Handled quite well I might add.
    Last edited by Joe Pittman; 04-25-2003 at 09:07 PM.
    Long Life

Originally posted by B Carver
    Well, a sakabato would be pretty interesting to forge. An interesting note is Kenshin's sakabato has an iron sheath, just showing that Nobuhiro Watsuki is a good mangaka but not exactly a historical or weapons expert.

Oh, and upon furhter examination from the manga, the tsuka itself is also iron as well! Geez, that sakabato must be pretty damn heavy to carry.
    actually, no it doesnt. it was the other man that had the iron saya. kenshins saya gets cut in the series. they just failed to keep with reality after it.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Originally posted by Jeff Ellis

actually, no it doesnt. it was the other man that had the iron saya. kenshins saya gets cut in the series. they just failed to keep with reality after it.
    oh, and i do know of one, but i'm considering buying it... wheres the one on that site mr pittman?
    I like swords.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.

actually incorrect. In his fight with Aoshi, Kenshin remarks "You sliced through a saya of iron as if it were wood". I can show you scans if you want.

"Oh, a customer stabbed it with the Dark Sentinel... dumb customers," muttered the Knife man.

actually incorrect. In his fight with Aoshi, Kenshin remarks "You sliced through a saya of iron as if it were wood". I can show you scans if you want.
    hmm... i only watched the dubs... its been a while since i saw the episode it was cut in... aoshi was the head of the ninja clan, right?

that would also explain why he doesnt cut thru it on the draw.
    I like swords.

Yes, but the anime changed it. You can see a glint of metal from the inside of the sheath, but no mention of it being iron.

The Tsuka, though... there are many upclose drawings of the Tsuka showing it to be metal.

Re: Reverse blade katana

Originally posted by Sean S.

Thank you,
    Sean
    go into search and look up "sakabatou" i started this particular thread, the responses were very informative.

it'll help you understand why they arent typically made.
    I like swords.

Yes, but the anime changed it. You can see a glint of metal from the inside of the sheath, but no mention of it being iron.

The Tsuka, though... there are many upclose drawings of the Tsuka showing it to be metal.
    could that have just been the same? they were known to use a metal same sometimes... i'd like to see this...
    I like swords.

Well, in the manga, it occasionally shows Kenshin performing some maintenence on his sakabato... but in other chapters it also shows him using the blade of his sakabato to chop firewood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, in the manga, it occasionally shows Kenshin performing some maintenence on his sakabato... but in other chapters it also shows him using the blade of his sakabato to chop firewood.
    OH! nono thats him putting the mekugi back in.
    I like swords.

I know, but that was the best tsuka pic I could find at the moment. There's a better one that shows it having a triangular shape to it and a metal glint.

Here's the Iron Saya quote.

Tilaru Home Page

Jeff, On the left menue, Hit the J squard symbol and immediatly to the right see blades here. I see now though that this is not what Sean is looking for. Joe
    Long Life

Re: Tilaru Home Page

Originally posted by Joe Pittman
    Jeff, On the left menue, Hit the J squard symbol and immediatly to the right see blades here. I see now though that this is not what Sean is looking for. Joe
    nono, it is. they can traditionally mount it. i'm asking them some questions tho, i may be interested in one...

i found it soon after asking
    I like swords.

And here's a pic of Kenshin chopping firewood. Don't try this at home kids

I know, but that was the best tsuka pic I could find at the moment. There's a better one that shows it having a triangular shape to it and a metal glint.

Here's the Iron Saya quote.
    as for the triangular shape, tsuka are supposed to be shaped that way. it wasnt iron, it'd weight too much. the saya could ahve been. i want the nihonto forums opinion on it.
    I like swords.

Well, Kenshin could slice through solid lamp-posts with his sword before, not to mention he hurled a 3 ton mech 80 feet straight up in the air, so I doubt realism is a big part of Nobuhiro Watsuki's motives

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast