Thread: Charlton Heston in "The Warlord"

Charlton Heston in "The Warlord"

A friend had suggested that I would enjoy the old Charlton Heston film, The Warlord which also starred a woungish Richard Boone (remember Paladin in the "Have Gun, Will Travel" TV show?) and a number of other 1950s movie persons, so I purchased the DVD. I cannot speak for the plotline about the marshfolk in the fens up in the lowlands along the coast of what is now Belgium and the Netherlands, which is where the film is set, being worshipers of a cross between the Teutonic gods and the Celtic Druidic cults, but I thought that the portrayal of 11th Century Normans was quite good, especially for a film made in 1965. Considering all of the trashily bad sword and sandal epics that Heston has done over the years, this one has stunningly good portrayals of the Normans in it and I thought that the "Frisians", Vikings actually, were rather well portrayed as well. Really, the only question that I had was the odd survival of a mixed Teutonic/Celtic religion among the marshfolk. But is that so impossible as it might seem, isolated as they obviously are from any real contact with outside culture? Perhaps not, when you consider that there are said to be pockets of Pelagianism and of Catharism surviving in out of the way places in Europe to this day.

I liked the movie quite a lot and would give it 4 1/2 or 5 stars in Amazon's rating system.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

Yeah his squire or man at arms....His big friend was great in that movie...what was the line "It would take ten men to hold my lord, or one woman..." great stuff.

Plus, you know a movie is going to be cool if it has a midget in it.
    Jay
    Constant And True

The Warlord wqs one of the films my wife presented at the Medieval Film Festival she put on at East Stroudsburg University a couple of weeks past. By all accounts, everybody who attended really enjoyed it.

Richard Boone as Bors is a treat to watch. Plus a mighty fine Shakespearean actor, Maurice Evans (perhaps better known as Samantha's dad on Bewitched) plays the local priest.

Regards
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Thumbs up Warlord

Hi,

Picked the DVD up from Best Buy for like 5 dollars. Great movie, liked Heston. Wish I could find El Cid.

Jeff
    "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

For El Cid and any other hard to find movie with a war or military theme, try Belle and Blade at http://www.warshows.com/, where you can find almost anything that has ever been made. For this particular film, they say it is out of print and that you should call for availability and price. Their phone numbers are: M-F 10:00am-4:00pm, Eastern Time, 973-328-8488, or, for telephone orders,24X7, 1-888-830-2316 or 1-800-365-2104(only inside the US). I should Think that if you are trying to order a movie, such as El Cid, they would expect you to use the 800 or 888 numbers.

My experience of these people is that they may be a bit pricey, but they have what they promise and that they do, indeed, deliver on it, unlike a 4 month wait for a film, Quatermass and the Pit, that Amazon put me through before finally admitting that they could not find the film in DVD or VHS. I found it elsewhere in VHS. It is a great example of British scifi/horror flicks and it is a minor classic and cult film that I really like.

For those interested in WWII, they have what is about THE most powerful anti-war film that I have ever seen, Die Brucke or The Bridge, about a group of German teenagers left to defend the bridge outside of their hometown in April, 1945. I saw it first in the Summer of 1961 at a theater across from Fort Myer outside Washington, DC, where the 3rd Infantry is stationed. The audience contained a large number of middle-aged non-commissioned officers, sergeants and such, who were clearly WWII veterans, and there is a scene in the film where the German kids destroy an American tank. The theater broke out in cheers at that, myself included. After the film was over, we all left looking around guiltily, after all, we had just been cheering NAZIs killing Americans! It was only after a lot of thinking that I realized just how very powerful were the images in that film to cause that reaction. And, as I said, the final message is profoundly anti-war, enough so that I really wonder if the film could be made in Germany today rather than in 1960 when it was made.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

THE WARLORD is one of the all time great sword movies. I loved the duel at the begining between Charlton and the Frisian chieftan. So much for 10lb broadswords and 20lb battle axes! They were fast!

I loved this movie so much that when I found both it and ALEXANDER NEVSKY were available on DVD I bought them and then had to go buy a DVD player!
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

The Warlord

What was great about The Warlord was that it took its point of view directly from the environment. We are not taking a distant, condescending view of quaint Medieval people, but seeing the world through their own eyes, complete with ignorance, superstition, bad hygeine, motivation based entirely on personal loyalties, etc. I don't know of a better example of historical filmmaking, for all its undeniable flaws.

Good point, John. The characters were not modern people with modern viewpoints in costume. They actually had some medieval viewpoints.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Southern Maryland, for the last 350+ years; previously of the Danelaw.

The Warlord

One of my favorites- and an excellent score by Jerome Moross, which is finally out on CD.

Always wanted a tower keep like that (although it seems larger on the inside than on the outside).

Also note that Maurice Evans and Charlton Heston switch roles, and social standing, in Planet of the Apes!
    Retired civil servant, part time blacksmith, seasonal Viking ship captain.

Originally posted by Michael Smith
    ... Plus a mighty fine Shakespearean actor, Maurice Evans (perhaps better known as Samantha's dad on Bewitched) plays the local priest.
    Maurice Evans, also better known as Dr Zaius in "The Planet Of the Apes." Another fine Charleton Heston film.

PS - Hugh, you may also know me as "Centaur" on Blade Forums!