Thread: Timeline

Timeline

has anyone read this book??? it's from Micheal Chricton (sorry if i spell it wrong ) anyways, i'd like to have your opinion on this book, thanks.

I thought it started off really interesting but fell flat about two thirds through. There are many gross historical inaccuracies, but then, it's just a novel after all. The Timeline movie will be coming out in November (I believe). Here is a link to some info on the film...

http://www.thetimelinemovie.com/
    Jay
    Constant And True

well, yeah, it's a novel, so it's normal that some stuff get inaccurate.... but personnally I liked it.... just one thing though, the chapter where they talk about how they go through time using physics...thatpart completely lost me and I had to read it 5 times to understand correctly...

btw, here is a link to the trailer http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/timeline.html

(2 of my friends are playing in this movie )

Originally posted by Jay Barron
    I thought it started off really interesting but fell flat about two thirds through. There are many gross historical inaccuracies, but then, it's just a novel after all. The Timeline movie will be coming out in November (I believe). Here is a link to some info on the film...

http://www.thetimelinemovie.com/

I second what Jay said...

Further, if "time travel" is possible in so far that realty is constructed of an infinite number of "timelines" that proceed more or less in tandem (but branch off in tangents along an exponentially increasing number of branches), and that one can "jump" from one's own timeline to any point on any other timeline, then why would the professor be able to leave his archaeological messages for the others to find? He had jumped to another timeline, got into trouble, and then left his "tokens" to be found six or seven hundred years later by his students. But he was on a separate timeline than they. Why would his actions in a particular timeline have an effect on any other timeline?

Time travel's tricky (or so Einstein says...),
    Jesse
    Jesse D. Zinn
    North Carolina

Hwt w Gr-Dena in ger-dagum
    od-cyninga rym gefrnon,
    h elingas ellen fremedon."

I can't explain it very well, but you can compare it to a championship graph, but you just have to inverse it... so it will be like that

I___I I___I
    I I
    I___I
    I
    I

and so on, so that each I is an other universe where a certain choice was made, but the efects of the lower choices are still present.... anyways, im not bilingual so I cant explain this very well...

>_< doh!!! it wont show itself correctly
    Last edited by Pierre-Louis Maltais; 08-13-2003 at 12:22 PM.

I must say that I thought the movie was ridiculous!
    I have not yet read the book. Based on other books I have read, though, I find he writes in a very easily "imaginable" style.
    ...enquiring wrights have a mind to know...

I actually liked the timeline movie better than the book...

Don't try to think too hard and it isn't half bad.

That being said at the end the whole 'night arrows ' debacle made me graon to no end.

But it is another rehash of the plot from jurassic park(s)1,2 & 3

1: You have an incredible discovery made - or about to be made by scientists.

2: To use, or interact, with this discovery is (to anyone with any common sense) extremely dangerous.

3: Gather together a bunch of scientific types who are the tops of thier fields.

4: Have them all willingly plunge themselves into said dangerous situation.

5: (Most important) Don't bring weapons of any kind that would easily solve most of the problems that the scientists would get into.
    "Ignorance can be cured through education. Stupidity is forever."
    ~C.S.

I thought the film was alright, some of the armor didn't seem too far off, although I saw it some time ago. I liked the book well enough, but again I read it quite a while back.
    as far as not bringing any weapons that would easily solve their situation, I think the book said it was because it would of course have altered history, but everything they did there altered history. according to chaos theory, which crichton covered in jurassic park, one of them stepping on a leaf in a forest in medieval france could have resulted in the indonesians conquering ireland, among other things. they could not send people to medieval france and not alter the course of history in some potentially significant way.
    Televison ate my soul and crapped out money...

It's not the edge of the world, but I can see it from here...
    Just had the misfortune of watching the movie on DVD (I did not buy it, someone else did).

Historical accuracy? No comment. Flat characters and ill-paced story? No comment.

The only thing new that I can offer in opinion is that the movie is a glowing testament to the usefulness of careful preparation and a reasonable semblence of chain-of-command... because the complete lack thereof demonstrated by the heroes of this film made me almost wish I had a "Magic Ticket" a la Last Action Hero so I could jump into the film and shout, "Will you pissy little sea lawyers shut up for one friggin' second and maybe try just a little coordination here? You" and I point at someone. Anyone. "You're in charge of this damned mission. Everybody else shuts up and listens to what this guy has to say. You do not stand and bicker about meaningless details while big guys with big sharp thingies are bearing down on you."

I mean, hellooooo: A Plan. Ever heard of it, people?
    Last edited by T.L. Johnson; 06-18-2004 at 11:51 PM.
    Political Correctness is the promotion of tolerance in a diverse society through the intolerance of all that which deviates from one sterile preconception of how people should think.

Originally posted by T.L. Johnson
    ...because the complete lack thereof demonstrated by the heroes of this film made me almost wish I had a "Magic Ticket" a la Last Action Hero so I could jump into the film and shout, [i]"Will you pissy little sea lawyers shut up for one friggin' second and maybe try just a little coordination here?
    This really cracks me up. I remember while in high school, going to see an ancient Bruce Lee movie in a packed theater. The fun of the experience was the entire audience voiced their direction on-screen to every single character that appeared, telling them what they should or should not be doing. Never been to a movie before or since that had so much audience involvement.

But, I'm a sucker for time travel stories. I have an amazing capacity for suspension of disbelief for this type of story. All except for <insert type of character here> in King Arthur's Court. Sending people back to visit with Arthur, Merlin and the boys or having them come visit us has been overdone to the point that I'd rather sit in a corner with a hammer hitting my head. I enjoyed the novel, Timeline...mostly the first parts, but haven't seen the movie.

Think I'll rent it after hearing the comments here. That will save buyers regret and if it drives me crazy, I've got a guilt-free STOP button.