Thread: Knights of Columbus Swords

Knights of Columbus Swords

Hey folks. It's me again, the guy who inherits swords.

After my grandmother (on dad's side) saved my grandfather's bayonets for me, my other grandmother got out an old Knights of Columbus ceremonial sword that he received when he became 4th degree knight. Now he probably received this in the 60's but it is pretty impressive. I mean, I have seen these for sale on Gunbroker and E-bay and they are all rusty and pitted and f'ed-up looking. This one is shiny, the scabbard is shiny and strong, and there appears to be very little tarnish on any part of the sword. My question is: is it common for such a sword to be in the condition mine is in? Or have I got a rare specimen?

Smiles to all!
    "Keep peace in your soul."
    --Max Ehrmann, _Desiderata_

Re: Knights of Columbus Swords

Originally posted by Andy Klein
    Hey folks. It's me again, the guy who inherits swords.

After my grandmother (on dad's side) saved my grandfather's bayonets for me, my other grandmother got out an old Knights of Columbus ceremonial sword that he received when he became 4th degree knight. Now he probably received this in the 60's but it is pretty impressive. I mean, I have seen these for sale on Gunbroker and E-bay and they are all rusty and pitted and f'ed-up looking. This one is shiny, the scabbard is shiny and strong, and there appears to be very little tarnish on any part of the sword. My question is: is it common for such a sword to be in the condition mine is in? Or have I got a rare specimen?

Smiles to all!
    I have 3 or 4 K of C swords, from family members... probably from the 40's or 50's i think mostly.. the *vast* majority of K of C swords have a nickle plated, blunt (2 or so mm flat) edge, and are totally display and ceremony pieces. It would not, however, surprise me to find that there are real honest to goodness blades in the much older pieces. My fencing coach had a Knights Templar sword, which had belonged to someone in his family, i think back in the 20's or 30's... and it had a very real, very sharp, very wicked smallsword blade.. I bet that is the exception to the rule though...

Most fraternal swords should last a very long time, unless not cared for, as the nickle plating does tend to provide for rust resistance as long as its applied well... further, most swords I've seen of that typed, that have been stored in the scabbard, in the bag, are in good shape... those that haven't, really just look abused..

All the swords I have of that type are in good shape.

hope that helps.

Chris
    Christopher A. Holzman, Esq.
    Moniteur d' Armes
    "[T]he calm spirit is the only force that can defeat instinct, and render us masters of all our strengths" -Settimo Del Frate, 1876.

Author of The Art of the Dueling Sabre
    ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana

I wouldt love some pics

Ruben
    bether a good neighbour than an enemy with a sword.

Or was it: better a good sword when your neighbour is your enemy.