Thread: Welcome to the Ancient Weapons Forum!

Welcome to the Ancient Weapons Forum!

I would like to welcome you all to the Ancient Weapons Forum. Our focus here is on weapons of the Ancient world. What defines ancient, you ask? Well, it's any weapon from just about any culture, from the Bronze Age to the European Migration Era. Some of the Cultures we focus on are:
    • Rome, from Republic to Empire
    • Greece, from Odysseus to Alexander
    • Egypt, from the Pharaohs to Roman rule
    • Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia
    • Scythia and Sarmatia
    • Celtic Europe, from the Halstatt to La Tene Cultures and to Romano/Brit "Arthurian" times
    • The various other so-called "Barbarians" of Germanic and Norse descent
    • Arms and armor of Biblical times
    • And much more!

And the "end line" isn't set in stone -- later cultures such as the Vikings are welcome to this discussion!

Now, what defines weapons? Well, think about it.....

• Swords
    • Daggers
    • Spears
    • Archery
    • Slings
    • Axes
    • "Missle Launchers" -- catapults, ballistas, and other torsion-driven artillery
    • And more!

If you are a serious student of history, a reenactor, an amateur hobbyist, or if you've seen Gladiator one too many times, you are welcome! Stop by, hang out, and don't forget to bring your mead or a nice Falernian wine!
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Old Forums

I had the old Ancient Weapons forum Book marked and it was still receiving posts, at least on existing threads, I didn't know that the new Forums were up until last night.

Ancient Weapons

Dear D. Wilson,

Please come and sign up for http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancientweapons and take a look at the posted emails and photos of my collection. I am a moderator of the group. I posted some information on Mycenaean swords and a bibliography this morning, I hope you find it helpful.

Best regards, John Piscopo

ANCIENT CHINESE SWORD(I THINK)

I THINK THIS SWORD IS AN ANCIENT CHINESE SWORD, BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT AND/OR WHAT LANGUAGE IT IS ON THE BLADE AND WHAT IT SAYS. CAN ANYONE HELP? I AM SENDING ALONG SOME PICS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: ANCIENT CHINESE SWORD(I THINK)

HERE ARE MORE PICS

Re: ANCIENT CHINESE SWORD(I THINK)

Originally posted by Sandra Pearson
    I THINK THIS SWORD IS AN ANCIENT CHINESE SWORD, BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT AND/OR WHAT LANGUAGE IT IS ON THE BLADE AND WHAT IT SAYS. CAN ANYONE HELP? I AM SENDING ALONG SOME PICS.
    Dear Sandra Pearson,

The sword is not ancient Chinese. It is brass, modern and probably made for the tourist trade. If it was sold to you as a genuine antiquity I would recommend that you obtain a refund from the Seller as quickly as possible.

Best Regards, John Piscopo
    JohnPiscopoSwords.com
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancientweapons
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancientartifacts
    http://groups:yahoo.com/group/ancient_thailand
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dong_Son
    Sword Forum
    PO Box 137
    Western Springs, IL 60558
    (708)246-7111

Be very very wary

Of dealing with any Chinese based traders on Ebay.

Any antiques are to be looked at with extreme suspicion.

Firstly, they are posting in all sorts of inordinate areas, i.e.; offering their wares in ancient roman antiquities, and other places decidedly NON Chinese.

Secondly; The sale of antiques in China is forbidden as all items
    of Chinese historical value are the immediate property of the State.

best wishes;

Richard M.

<waving> Hello. I am a recently joined member and just looking around the fourm and getting a feel for the place. Already VERY impressed by the standard of work I've seen.

I'm interested in the Roman period in the main (particularly cavalry) but my interest has grown into the develpoment of the spatha into the later post Roman period.

I'd class myself as an experimental archaeologist and have started blacksmithing in an attempt to learn and understand ancient craftsmen and to produce my own pieces of equipment for private research.

So, eyes and ears peeled ...off to read more fascinating posts and not get distracted by the 16th Century!! (fat chance)
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"