Thread: !796 Light Cavalry Scabbards - a question

!796 Light Cavalry Scabbards - a question

I have an officer's 1796 with a blue and gilt blade and pre 1801 royal crest with its scabbard no makers mark on the blade. Bought at Bosleys a few years ago,

The scabbard is the normal iron but the 2 suspension rings are split rings, key ring style rather than solid. They seem original, hand wrought from iron with a patena identical to the scabbard and with the expected wear, the join is so finely matched that you have to look closely to see they are split. I'm fairly sure they are original to the scabbard. Does anyone know if this is common or are 1796 suspension rings usually single welded rings ?

David

Re: !796 Light Cavalry Scabbards - a question

Originally posted by David Critchley
    I have an officer's 1796 with a blue and gilt blade and pre 1801 royal crest with its scabbard no makers mark on the blade. Bought at Bosleys a few years ago,

The scabbard is the normal iron but the 2 suspension rings are split rings, key ring style rather than solid. They seem original, hand wrought from iron with a patena identical to the scabbard and with the expected wear, the join is so finely matched that you have to look closely to see they are split. I'm fairly sure they are original to the scabbard. Does anyone know if this is common or are 1796 suspension rings usually single welded rings ?

David
    David,

Completely 100% normal for officers' scabbards to have split rings. Every 1796 officer's sword I have except one has split rings identical to those you describe. Troopers' swords have the single plain rings (not always welded though).

Richard.
    Celeriter nil crede

David,

I had an infantry officer's sword pre-1796 with split rings. At first look I thought that someone had put car key rings on it. On close inspection, the workmanship was too fine on the rings to be a car key ring. I had never seen split rings on a scabbard before. I guess you learn something everyday!

Andre

Many thanks guys

David