Thread: chrome vanadium steel

chrome vanadium steel

Ok whats the deal with this chrome vanadium steel? I found some swords made of it on the net and wanna know about its property and whether it makes a good sword..in terms of battle readyness. So if anyone can help me out that would be great!
    E. P. Labossiere Brandt

Del Tin swords use 50CRV4 - This is a steel with very small amounts of Vandium and Chromium. Chromium in higher quantities lends to a steel's "stainless" properties. However, in 50CRV, there isn't enough to make it "stainless" - and metallurgically brittle. Thus it makes a good spring steel. It contains trace amounts of Silicon and Manganese.

(The tensile strength of CK55 and CK50 is about 600 N/mm2, while 50CRV4 ranks about 750 N/mm2, but tensile strength is more for wires and doesn't really apply to swords.)
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

Re: chrome vanadium steel

Originally posted by Eric Paul Brandt
    Ok whats the deal with this chrome vanadium steel? I found some swords made of it on the net and wanna know about its property and whether it makes a good sword..in terms of battle readyness. So if anyone can help me out that would be great!
    Being in Canada I assume you might have come across some of Darksword Armories blades, they also claim these properties. I am pretty certain they are lying about their products, they look like cheap-o style Deepeeka blades to me. Too many similar styles to ignore.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

If you know who the maker is a pertinent question would be "Which Chrome Vanadium steel do you use and how is it heat treated?" Different alloys have different amounts of these materials and some are more suitable for swords than others. Armed with this information the forumites with metallurgical knowledge will be much better prepared to give you a usefull answer.
    Tinkerswords.com Fine knives, swords and daggers in the style of the European Middle Ages and Viking Era

"Then, one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield an ninety miles per hour, I had an epiphany..."

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Try this link:

http://www.trafilspec.com/English/50CrV4.pdf

It's basically an offical version of the above.

Chromium below the 'stainless' levels is a good thing as it means the sword isn't brittle, but is a bit less pronw to rusting.

Vandium as far as i know is quite a good hardner in the steel, but a bladesmith could tell you a lot more.

Do a google search for 50CRV4 if you want more info, theres plenty there.

hope it helps.
    "Is it really paranoia when everybody is out to get you"

"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way!"

"But when the great fall, the less must lead." - Aragorn, J.R.R Tolkien

It's like our 6150 so would make a good blade. The performance would not be all that different from 5160.

Hey thanks All!
    I Just Kinda wanted an over view as to the propertys of such a blade! I didnt need anything specific as there was no specific blade in mind.
    E. P. Labossiere Brandt